This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4412 / 50°26'28"N
Longitude: -4.6963 / 4°41'46"W
OS Eastings: 208640
OS Northings: 63627
OS Grid: SX086636
Mapcode National: GBR N3.PKJD
Mapcode Global: FRA 171W.J6D
Entry Name: Walls and Gates Enclosing the Garden to East and North of Lanhydrock House
Listing Date: 15 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143090
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67551
Location: Lanhydrock, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Lanhydrock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lanhydrock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
LANHYDROCK LANHYDROCK PARK
SX 06 SE
9/69 Walls and gates enclosing the
- garden to east and north of
Walls and gates, enclosing the garden to east and north. Dated 1857. By Sir George
Gilbert Scott; the work probably carried out by R. Coad of Liskeard, Scott's pupil;
for Thomas James Agar, who was later created Baron Robartes of Lanhydrock in 1869.
Walls in granite ashlar, the lower part on the outer side in stone rubble. Cast iron
Plan: The walls enclose the garden to east and north of Lanhydrock House, and join
the Gatehouse to the House, attached at the south to the coach house. In the range
at the west side of the north garden, the walls have a flight of steps ramped up over
an ornamental seat ; these steps lead up to the Church of St Hydroc. All gates are
in cast iron, in a Gothic design by George Gilbert Scott.
The walls are low, with embattled parapet, stepped with the levels of the terracing
of the garden, with piers at intervals, which are surmounted by obelisks with ball
finials. The south range has a single cast iron gate, and is about 40 metres long.
The east range joins the gatehouse, and is continuous along the front of the garden.
Returned in the north range for about 40 metres, with piers with obelisks at the
corners. The wall is continue to enclose the north garden, which is about 30 metres
by 50 metres, with a gateway with cast iron gate in the north range. In the west
range is a flight of granite steps ramped up over an ornamental seat ; this has 4-
centred arch and a granite bench, embattled parapet over and piers with obelisks and
Listing NGR: SX0864063627
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings