This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.441 / 50°26'27"N
Longitude: -4.6964 / 4°41'46"W
OS Eastings: 208636
OS Northings: 63602
OS Grid: SX086636
Mapcode National: GBR N3.PRG8
Mapcode Global: FRA 171W.J6H
Entry Name: Gatehouse About 40 Metres East of Lanhydrock House
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157994
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67552
Location: Lanhydrock, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Lanhydrock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lanhydrock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
LANHYDROCK LANHYDROCK PARK
SX 06 SE
9/70 Gatehouse about 40 metres east of
25.10.51 Lanhydrock House
Gatehouse. Dated ILR 1651, for John and Lucy Robartes. Granite ashlar. Lead roof
Plan: Rectangular plan gatehouse with octagonal tower to each side. There is a
central open passage at ground floor. The tower to right has a guard room at ground
floor and small unheated chamber above. The tower to left contains the stair and
closets. At first floor there is a central chamber, heated from a stack at the right
side which is concealed within the parapet. The gatehouse was originally attached to
the main house, which had an east range and forecourt walls ; those were demolished
circa 1780, leaving the gatehouse freestanding. In 1857, the gatehouse was again
attached to the house by the low garden walls, designed by George Gilbert Scott
Exterior: Symmetrical 2-storey gatehouse, with octagonal tower at each side, all on
moulded plinth with embattled parapet with obelisks with ball finials ; at the main
angles each die has a freestanding Doric column set in front of ramped supporters.
Central archway has a round arch with engaged columns and hood mould ; this outer
arch partly supports the first floor chamber, which is jettied over the outer
gateway. Inner rounded arched gateway with roll-mouldings and recessed spandrels,
hood mould with label stops. Round-arched niche with corbel to each side and cross
loop below. Pintles remain from the early gate, which is replaced by a cast iron
gate with brattished top panel, designed by George Gilbert Scott in 1857. There are
4 blank panels above the outer archway, and a 4-light chamfered granite window with
king mullion, engaged columns to sides and blank panel to each side ; hood mould
which is continued around the towers to right and left. The tower to right has blind
windows at ground floor with 4-centred arches, hollow-chamfered, with roundels in the
spandrels and an engaged column between the windows ; a cross-loop below each.
Similar widows at first floor. At the left side, the gatehouse has a 4-light
chamfered granite windw at first floor, with king mullion and hood mould ; similar 4-
light blind window at the right side. At the rear, a central 4-centred arched
gateway with engaged shafts with carved capitals at the sides, recessed spandrels and
square hood mould. String course and 5 panels over, recessed, the central panel a
diamond and the others cusped. The first floor chamber has 4-light window as at
front, with a recessed cusped panel to each side. Embattled parapet with obelisks.
The interior of the archway over the passage is ceiled, with plain moulded cornice.
To right is a door to the guard room, C20 replacement plank door. To left is a
panelled and studded C17 door with strap hinges. Both doorways are set in the angle
to front, with granite surrounds with 4-centred arches, with recessed spandrels with
roundels and cushion stops.
Interior: The stair in the tower to left is a winder ; at ground floor there is a
panelled C17 door, and a similar C17 panelled and studded door to the closet. The
first floor chamber has a granite fireplace, with basket arch, roll-moulded with
recessed spandrels. The doorway to the tower chamber is in granite, with 4-centred
hollow-chamfered arch, with roundels in the spandrels. The windows to the central
chamber have the king mullions with a moulding internally which is the same as the
moulded king mullions in the gallery in Lanhydrock House (q.v.). On the roof there
is a bellcote with bell dated 1811.
Listing NGR: SX0863663602
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings