History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Engine House at Princess of Wales Quarry

A Grade II Listed Building in Tintagel, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6435 / 50°38'36"N

Longitude: -4.7281 / 4°43'41"W

OS Eastings: 207213

OS Northings: 86203

OS Grid: SX072862

Mapcode National: GBR N2.8WW7

Mapcode Global: FRA 07ZC.PTR

Entry Name: Engine House at Princess of Wales Quarry

Listing Date: 10 December 1980

Last Amended: 20 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1143433

English Heritage Legacy ID: 68828

Location: Tintagel, Cornwall, PL34

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Tintagel

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Tintagel

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Delabole

Listing Text

TINTAGEL
SW 08 NE
4/166 Engine House at Princess of Wales
Quarry (formerly listed as Prince of
10.12.80 Wales Engine House, Trewamett)

GV II
Engine house. Completed in 1872, restored in 1976. Slate stone rubble with brick
dressings and top stage of chimney stack constructed of brick. Slate roof with gable
ends renewed in 1976.
Rectangular plan with chimney attached on lower front left hand (south west) corner.
Lower north elevation with chimney stack on front left, the brick top stage with a
brick corbelled band and cornice. Tall narrow opening in gable end with round headed
brick arch. Left hand side wall part rebuilt with openings at 2 levels. Right hand
side wall with large stone rubble plinth and timber lintels to openings. Tall round
headed brick arched opening in gable end of higher south elevation, part rebuilt.
Engine house of unusual plan used for both pumping and winding. It was built to
accommodate a 50" Harvey engine that until 1890 pumped a large pit below and hauled
trucks from Bowthick quarry across the valley. Bowthick quarry closed down in circa
1913 and the engine house stood derelict until restored in 1976.
Source: Clive Carter Unpublished manuscript notes.


Listing NGR: SX0721386203

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.