This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6853 / 50°41'7"N
Longitude: -4.6914 / 4°41'29"W
OS Eastings: 209974
OS Northings: 90747
OS Grid: SX099907
Mapcode National: GBR N4.60RY
Mapcode Global: FRA 1728.D3C
Entry Name: Boscastle Methodist Church
Listing Date: 20 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143503
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68697
Location: Forrabury and Minster, Cornwall, PL35
Civil Parish: Forrabury and Minster
Built-Up Area: Boscastle
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Forrabury
Church of England Diocese: Truro
FORRABURY AND FORE STREET (east side) Boscastle
SW 09 90 MINSTER
7/34 Boscastle Methodist Church
Methodist Church. Circa 1825 (datestone), partly remodelled in early C20. Patron
John Rosevear, a general merchant who lived at Barn Park, Boscastle (qv). Roughly
coursed and squared slate stone rubble with yellow brick dressings. Scantle slate
roof with gable ends, central pediment and pyramid roof to tower.
Original range of rectangular plan with rear wing possibly used as school room. In
circa 1904 a corner staircase and entrance tower was added on front right, possibly
contemporary with the remodelling of the rear wing.
Front elevation; earlier range originally had a two window front and slate roof with
hipped ends. In circa 1904 the 2-storey tower was added on the front right and the
roof to the earlier range remodelled with gable ends and a central pediment. 2 : 1
window front; the main range has two tall windows in round arched openings with
intersecting glazing bars. Oculus in central pediment with brick and terracotta
dressings and datestone 'Methodist Church 1825'. The square 2-storey tower to right
has brick quoins and round brick arched openings; entrance in left hand side and
intersecting glazing bars to openings on ground and first floor. Former arched
opening to right of earlier range with two early C19 windows with intersecting
glazing bars above. Two storey rear wing of stone rubble with brick dressings to
Interior largely complete with original end gallery and rostrum pulpit. Double stair
to pulpit; the right hand side removed when the choir was altered.
Between 1784 and 1793 Methodist services were held in an old barn in Boscastle. In
1793 a licence for a preaching room was granted and in 1801 the first chapel was
erected, financed by John Rosevear. The second chapel, built between 1823 and 1825
was also built by Rosevear who proved to be a particularly controversial figure in
the history of Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge circuit.
Datestones from the other converted or demolished chapels in Boscastle and Treworld
have been reset externally on the Methodist church tower. These comprise the
foundation stone from the Wesleyan Ebenezer chapel of 1837, now the Post Office in
Dunn Street; the datestone from the Bible Christian Siloam Chapel of 1859 now
converted to a flat and garage at the the cross roads of Paradise Road and High
Street and the datestone from the Bible Christian Chapel at Treworld in Lesnewth
Parish, 1838. The Methodist circuit in Boscastle was formed in 1803, the Bible
Christian Mission in 1818 and the Bible Christian Mission in Treworld was founded in
Shaw, Thomas Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit, 1743-1963 1963
Stell, C Draft of the RCHM inventory of Non-Conformist Chapels
Late C19 and early C20 postcards of Boscastle in possession of local residents.
Listing NGR: SX0997490747
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings