This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1834 / 50°11'0"N
Longitude: -5.421 / 5°25'15"W
OS Eastings: 155875
OS Northings: 37085
OS Grid: SW558370
Mapcode National: GBR DXZ6.CP5
Mapcode Global: VH12M.ZNH9
Plus Code: 9C2P5HMH+9J
Entry Name: Freemasons' Hall
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143683
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70196
Location: Hayle, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: Hayle
Built-Up Area: Hayle
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Erth
Church of England Diocese: Truro
HAYLE FOUNDRY SQUARE (south side),
10/95 Nos 8 and 9 (Freemasons' Hall),
- once The White Hart Hotel
Former inn (the original White Hart Hotel), now a freemasons' hall. Built by
Henry Trevithick to support his sister Jane, wife of Richard Trevithick 1871-1833, the famous engineer. Rendered walls. Hipped, almost pyramidal,
grouted scantle slate. Chimneys over side walls removed in the C20.
Plan: Double depth plan with 2 equal reception rooms at the front flanking a
central entrance hall leading to a rear stair hall between 2 service rooms,
(possible remodelled in the C20). Later extensions behind.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3 window north front with central doorway.
C20 door. Original hornless sashes. The window right of the doorway is a
complete 16-pane sash but the others have had their secondary glazing bars removed to leave 4-panes in each. Internal window shutters to ground floor
Interior: not inspected.
This building has important historical interest. Jane Trevithick was the
hostess of the premises during Richard Trevithick's long period of absence
in South America, where he travelled initially to supervise the installation
of 9 of his engines in Peru. While he was in South America, engaged in many daring and some ill-fated ventures, Richard sent Jane no money, and when he returned to the port of Falmouth in October 1827 he had (accordingly to
Francis Trevithick) only the clothes he wore, a gold watch, a drawing compass,
a magnetic compass, and a pair of silver spurs.
The hotel is also an interesting relic of Hayle's prosperity. For the
ceremonial first opening of the sluices, to clear the sand from the river,
on 27 December, 1834, the occasion was celebrated by a breakfast at the White Hart for the mine adventures, customers and 4 captains who had been employed
in the work.
Interior: Not inspected.
Sources: John B. Carter, for the Trevithick Society ; Richard Trevithick by
James Hodge ; The Harveys of Hayle by Edmund Vale.
Listing NGR: SW5587537085
Other nearby listed buildings