History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Building at Harveys Foundry at Sw 5578 3706

A Grade II Listed Building in Hayle, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.1831 / 50°10'59"N

Longitude: -5.4221 / 5°25'19"W

OS Eastings: 155797

OS Northings: 37062

OS Grid: SW557370

Mapcode National: GBR DXZ6.C5Y

Mapcode Global: VH12M.YNXG

Entry Name: Building at Harveys Foundry at Sw 5578 3706

Listing Date: 9 February 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247405

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456871

Location: Hayle, Cornwall, TR27

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Hayle

Built-Up Area: Hayle

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Erth

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Hayle

Listing Text


SW5437 Building at Harvey's Foundry, at
SW 5578 3706
1534- /10/10001

GV II


Foundry.c1825-40, in various stages and with earlier origins. Coursed slatestone rubble with dressed quoins and brick arches; part of hipped slate roof remaining. Stable and cartshed range of local rubble and brick with hipped slate roof and brick stacks. PLAN: rectangular plan with, from left (south east) a granary, machine shop, boiler room and engine room; a boring mill stood further to the north west; a stable range extends to the west at right angles, making an overall T-shaped plan, and was joined to the main block by an extension of c1860. EXTERIOR: Main complex of equal height. 5-storey granary has granite lintel over doorway and segmental brick arches over windows and loft doors; rear (west) is slate-clad with large ground-floor opening. Otherwise of 4 storeys with segmental-arched windows. To centre is furnace hole to left of segmental brick arch to vault with secondary flue hole; semi-circular arched ground-floor openings to rear. Semi-circular brick arch to engine house on right. To extreme right (north west) is buttressed and dressed granite wall with 2 segmental-arched openings and joist holes for former pattern floor, this being the end of the demolished Boring Mill; buttress has brick springers for arch and iron socket for supporting crane rail at north east corner. The stable range is of 2 storeys, with loft openings set above segmental-arched double openings to cartsheds, with wrought-iron fittings to plank double doors, and over segmental-arched stable doors. INTERIOR: heavy beamed floors, with some line shafting and flywheels visible. The basement to the granary has two barrel vaults with granite piers and cast-iron columns to brick vaulting. Engine house has flywheel mark on inner face of north wall, and holes indicating that the beam engine was mounted on a cast-iron entablature (a remarkable arrangement for a Cornish engine house). Archaeological analysis and other information is contained in reports by Ken Brown, 1995, and the Cornwall Archaeological Unit. The stables have retained some softwood trusses. From 1779 Harvey's played a pre-eminent role in the supply of beam engines to the world's mining industry and for large draining projects. By the mid C19 they supplied beam engines to the largest capacity sites in the country (including the grade I listed pumping station at Kew), drainage projects in Europe (eg.Haarlem Meer in Holland) and to mines in Africa, Australia and The Americas. The surviving structure was built during the period of the firm's greatest prosperity from 1825 to 1870 and clearly expresses its role as a manufactury, the principal source of power being a large beam engine which also by virtue of its great size, served as a showpiece engine for visitors to the site. The foundry, therefore played a pivotal role in the context of C19 mining throughout much of the world.


Listing NGR: SW5579737062

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SW5437 Building at Harvey's Foundry, at
SW 5578 3706
1534- /10/10001

GV II


Foundry.c1825-40, in various stages and with earlier origins. Coursed slatestone rubble with dressed quoins and brick arches; part of hipped slate roof remaining. Stable and cartshed range of local rubble and brick with hipped slate roof and brick stacks. PLAN: rectangular plan with, from left (south east) a granary, machine shop, boiler room and engine room; a boring mill stood further to the north west; a stable range extends to the west at right angles, making an overall T-shaped plan, and was joined to the main block by an extension of c1860. EXTERIOR: Main complex of equal height. 5-storey granary has granite lintel over doorway and segmental brick arches over windows and loft doors; rear (west) is slate-clad with large ground-floor opening. Otherwise of 4 storeys with segmental-arched windows. To centre is furnace hole to left of segmental brick arch to vault with secondary flue hole; semi-circular arched ground-floor openings to rear. Semi-circular brick arch to engine house on right. To extreme right (north west) is buttressed and dressed granite wall with 2 segmental-arched openings and joist holes for former pattern floor, this being the end of the demolished Boring Mill; buttress has brick springers for arch and iron socket for supporting crane rail at north east corner. The stable range is of 2 storeys, with loft openings set above segmental-arched double openings to cartsheds, with wrought-iron fittings to plank double doors, and over segmental-arched stable doors. INTERIOR: heavy beamed floors, with some line shafting and flywheels visible. The basement to the granary has two barrel vaults with granite piers and cast-iron columns to brick vaulting. Engine house has flywheel mark on inner face of north wall, and holes indicating that the beam engine was mounted on a cast-iron entablature (a remarkable arrangement for a Cornish engine house). Archaeological analysis and other information is contained in reports by Ken Brown, 1995, and the Cornwall Archaeological Unit. The stables have retained some softwood trusses. From 1779 Harvey's played a pre-eminent role in the supply of beam engines to the world's mining industry and for large draining projects. By the mid C19 they supplied beam engines to the largest capacity sites in the country (including the grade I listed pumping station at Kew), drainage projects in Europe (eg.Haarlem Meer in Holland) and to mines in Africa, Australia and The Americas. The surviving structure was built during the period of the firm's greatest prosperity from 1825 to 1870 and clearly expresses its role as a manufactury, the principal source of power being a large beam engine which also by virtue of its great size, served as a showpiece engine for visitors to the site. The foundry, therefore played a pivotal role in the context of C19 mining throughout much of the world.


Listing NGR: SW5579737062

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.