This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.189 / 50°11'20"N
Longitude: -5.4182 / 5°25'5"W
OS Eastings: 156106
OS Northings: 37696
OS Grid: SW561376
Mapcode National: GBR FX05.T3Z
Mapcode Global: VH12N.1JH0
Plus Code: 9C2P5HQJ+HP
Entry Name: The Passmore Edwards Institute
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143690
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70212
Location: Hayle, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: Hayle
Built-Up Area: Hayle
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Phillack
Church of England Diocese: Truro
This List Entry was subjected to a Minor Amendment on 15/12/2016
HAYLE HAYLE TERRACE (north side), Hayle
11/111 Nos 13 and 15 (The Passmore
- Edwards Institute)
Literary institute. Foundation stone laid 1893, officially opened in April 1896 by Mrs Passmore Edwards wife of the donor. Designed by Silvanus Trevail. Dressed granite brought to course, granite ashlar and granite dressings. U-plan dry Delabole slate roof with 2 pedimented gables at the front with parapet between and hipped ends at the rear. Brick chimney over rear right-hand corner.
Plan: Rectangular plan with 2 deep parallel wings linked at the front by a central entrance and stair hall and linked by internal service rooms behind
stair hall. Classical style details.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 1:1:1 bay south front with central entrance porch with round-headed doorway. Rock-faced granite except for the rusticated granite ashlar framing the first floor windows at left and right, and the
granite dressings of the architectural details. Original windows and doors. Leaded glazed tympanum over double doors with patterned panels. Central bay behind the porch is set back from the wider flanking bays. Parapet over the central bay has: PASSMORE EDWARDS in relief and the word INSTITUTE in the parapet of the porch. Left and right hand bays have moulded plinths, mid-floor strings, moulded parapet cornices and triangular pediments. Tripatite windows with granite mullions. Ground floor windows have central triangular pediments
on consoles attached to the mullions. First floor windows are Venetian style
with round arched and are flanked by pairs of ashlar pilasters. Transomed
wooden mullioned windows-within the granite surrounds. Side elevations have 4 windows on each floor. Plinths, mid floor and moulded eaves cornices linked
to parapet cornices of the front.
Interior: little altered since built with fine original open-well open-string
staircase; pitch-pine dado panelling; panelled doors and doorcases and large
cast-iron Cornish range in rear right-hand room.
From a humble home in a little Cornish village (Blackwater) Passmore Edwards became a city journalist and lecturer; M.P. for Salisbury, Editor of a leading London newspaper, life-long champion of the working-classes and is remembered mainly as a Benefactor Extraordinary (Best). In the biography by E.H. Burrage,
he says of Passmore Edwards speeches: "one may be sagacious without being liberal, or liberal without being sagacious, but to be both lifts one high
above the plane of the majority of men". Hayle Institute is the largest of 4 institutes given by Passmore Edwards in Cornwall and one of many buildings designed for him by his architect friend, the Cornish architect, Silvanus Trevail.
Sources: The Life and Good works of John Passmore Edwards by R.S. Best;
Hayle Town Council.
Listing NGR: SW5610637696
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings