This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5356 / 54°32'8"N
Longitude: -1.0485 / 1°2'54"W
OS Eastings: 461667
OS Northings: 516006
OS Grid: NZ616160
Mapcode National: GBR PH3Z.TW
Mapcode Global: WHF8D.V8X9
Entry Name: Garden Wall, Approximately 100 Metres to North East of Priory Gardens Cottage
Listing Date: 25 April 1984
Last Amended: 13 December 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159343
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59910
Location: Guisborough, Redcar and Cleveland, TS14
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Guisborough
Built-Up Area: Guisborough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Guisborough St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: York
Early-C19 boundary/retaining wall.
MATERIALS: brick with flat stone coping.
PLAN: aligned west-south-west to east-north-east along the southern edge of the Terrace’s central section.
DESCRIPTION: the wall incorporates stone steps and gatepiers aligned with the formal garden’s path and the undercroft of St Mary's Priory ruins. The eastern end has partially collapsed.
The lands belonging to the former Priory were first leased by Thomas Chaloner in 1547, who subsequently purchased them in 1550 for £998. It was not until the death of Edward Chaloner in 1680 that the family moved to the site. Edward’s son William constructed a mansion on Bow Street, known as Old Hall, and it was at this point that the gardens were developed. The standing stonework of the Priory was incorporated into the ornamental gardens to provide a setting to the Hall. Research into the gardens has identified three main phases; 1709, 1773-1805 and 1854.
This wall forms the retaining wall to the Terrace, a feature dating to the first phase of the gardens. Raised about 2.4m above the Formal Gardens, the Terrace gave views down onto the parterres below and across to the high ground of Gisborough Moor. This early-C19 wall appears to be a replacement of an earlier wall which once continued further south-west, the remains of which are designated separately (list entry 1139801, Grade II).
The early-C19 garden wall approximately 100m to the north-east of Priory Gardens Cottage is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic: as a built element of the designed landscape at Gisborough Priory Gardens
* Group value: for its association with numerous other listed structures and the scheduled Gisborough Priory ruins, which together provide physical evidence as to the story of an historically significant site with a great time depth
* Date: for its retention of pre-1840 fabric
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings