This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.22 / 50°13'12"N
Longitude: -5.2694 / 5°16'9"W
OS Eastings: 166874
OS Northings: 40674
OS Grid: SW668406
Mapcode National: GBR Z0.SBVN
Mapcode Global: VH12J.MQ4P
Entry Name: Tincroft Mine Man Engine and Loadings
Listing Date: 7 April 1983
Last Amended: 12 September 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160794
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66721
Location: Carn Brea, Cornwall, TR15
Civil Parish: Carn Brea
Built-Up Area: Camborne
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Camborne and Tuckinghill
Church of England Diocese: Truro
CARN BREA TINCROFT ROAD
SW 64 SE
Tincroft Mine Man Engine
7.4.83 (formerly listed under
Man engine house and loadings to former tin mine; now derelict. c.1860. Granite
rubble with quoins, bob wall of dressed blocks, brick arches to windows.
Rectangular plan on north-south axis with bob wall to north, loadings in front of
this, and chimnney attached at south-west corner. Three stages, with mostly
round-headed openings including driver's window in bob wall and a small square
opening to the left (sides of bob opening above this now dilapidated), one
window on each floor of rear wall, and 2 tall windows in east side. Immediately
in front of bob wall, and attached to it, the loading of large quare granite
blocks, framing the shaft head, with remains of bolts and fixings. Tapered
cylindrical chimney now terminating with remains of cornice at eaves level.
History: although incomplete, a substantial survival of the man engine which
operated from 1863 to 1894, and believed to be the only extant example not
ruined. In 1870 Tincroft Mine was reported to be the richest tin mine in the
world; it ceased underground operations in 1926.
The item forms a group with its functional partners, the compressor house and
chimney stack approx. 45 metres to the east (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SW6687440674
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings