This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.524 / 51°31'26"N
Longitude: -0.1042 / 0°6'14"W
OS Eastings: 531620
OS Northings: 182272
OS Grid: TQ316822
Mapcode National: GBR N7.RV
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.4YSK
Entry Name: Woodbridge Chapel and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 29 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195610
English Heritage Legacy ID: 368948
Location: Islington, London, EC1R
Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Clerkenwell
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3182SE HAYWARDS PLACE
635-1/74/440 (North West side)
29/09/72 Woodbridge Chapel and attached
Independent chapel, incorporating the Clerkenwell and
Islington Medical Mission. 1833. Yellow brick set in Flemish
bond, stucco dressings, roof obscured by parapet. Two storeys
over basement, four-window range to Haywards Place and to
Woodbridge Street. Cement plinth to basement. Flat-arched
entrance in slightly projecting central bay in Haywards Place
with a stucco surround consisting of paired pilasters
supporting entablature and blocking course; double panelled
doors. Ground-floor windows segmental-arched, first-floor
round-arched with stucco sill band; 8/8 sashes of original
design to ground floor. Stucco band and two brick strings
below parapet, which has been rebuilt. Area railings include a
short run of wrought-iron railings with spearhead finials near
the entrance, and a longer run of cast iron railings, probably
of a later date, with urn standards and fleur-de-lys finials.
The interior was formerly a single space for worship with
vestibules at the ritual west end and vestries etc. north and
south at the ritual east end, created by panelled and glazed
screens; the fittings and gallery are later than 1833, and a
ceiling has recently been inserted at gallery level. Gallery
curved in plan at the west end, and carried on cast iron
columns with foliage capitals; ornate iron balustrade. Ritual
east end articulated by pilasters forming a round-arched
arcade of three bays; pulpit centrally at east end on iron
brackets and reached by steps at either side with ornate iron
balusters and railings; panelled dado; pews probably of C19
date in the nave and also in the four tiers of the gallery;
stairs to gallery with wreathed and ramped handrail and stick
balusters; plaster panels to ceiling.
(Philip Temple: Islington chapels: 1989-).
Listing NGR: TQ3162082272
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings