History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Paget Memorial Mission Hall and Ancillary Building

A Grade II Listed Building in Islington, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5393 / 51°32'21"N

Longitude: -0.1219 / 0°7'18"W

OS Eastings: 530347

OS Northings: 183940

OS Grid: TQ303839

Mapcode National: GBR J2.SC

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.TKXT

Entry Name: Paget Memorial Mission Hall and Ancillary Building

Listing Date: 30 September 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195705

English Heritage Legacy ID: 369209

Location: Islington, London, N1

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Caledonian

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Andrew Barnsbury

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


635-1/56/691 (North side)
Paget Memorial Mission Hall and
ancillary buildings


Mission Hall and ancillary accommodation. Dated 1911 in the
pediment over the main entrance, and possibly incorporating
part of earlier terraced houses. By Arthur Beresford Pite.
Yellow brick with bands of red brick set in Flemish bond,
stucco, roof of slate. Three storeys, seven-window range. In
Randells Road the buildings have a flat facade continuing the
treatment of the rest of the terrace apart from the
window-openings of the chapel; the Superintendent's rooms and
the missionaries' flats are to the left of, and also above the
chapel. Flat-arched entrance to the chapel with moulded stucco
architrave and pediment, segmental-arched house entrance to
the left; mosaic fascia above with inscription 'PAGET MEMORIAL
MISSION HALL'. The chapel front has a stucco panel pierced by
two pointed- and shoulder-arched windows, with a lunette
window above; all other windows segmental-arched; parapet.
INTERIOR: . The bulk of the decoration in the Hall appears to
be of 19ll, but it incorporates features of earlier date, some
or all of which come from Douglas Support, near Coatbridge,
Lanarkshire. This house belonged to the Reverend Sholto
Douglas, later Lord Blythswood, who built the Paget Memorial
Hall in memory of his wife, Violet Paget, who had held a Bible
class on this spot in 1887-9. The hall is panelled throughout
up to window-height, and the panelling is for the most part
arcaded; the spandrels are decorated with cartouches painted
with the monogram VP, and the muntins with carved drops; the
cartouches were probably designed by Martin Travers, a pupil
of Pite; the cornices throughout are decorated with gilt
stencilled violets.
The panelling at the east end is surmounted by a broad
pediment carrying the arms of Lord Blythswood; inscriptions
over the arch of the east window, and on raised plaster panels
above that. Broad balustraded pulpit with square newel posts
and balusters, the rail decorated with hearts and rosettes;
incorporated in the pulpit are two torcheres incorporating
Venetian walnut figures representing Vice and Virtue, probably
of late C17 or C18 date.
In the south wall are two ornate chimney-pieces. That to the
east has an overmantel decorated with hearts, interlaced
ornament and scrolling foliage carved in wood, the whole being
framed by columns of Baroque design, bulbous in their lower
parts and carved with grotesque and foliage ornament, and of
barley-sugar form in the upper parts, supporting a shallow
segmental pediment whose tympanum is filled with oak branches
and a lion rampant carved in low relief; the pediment
surmounted by three statuary figures, the central one of
Christ, by Thorwaldsen. The chimneypiece to the west is
pedimented and incorporates a portrait of Violet Paget in the
overmantel. A fireplace in the north wall is surmounted by a
mantelshelf and overmantel, the overmantel flanked by two
strips of Jacobean or neo-Jacobean carving, incorporating term
figures and foliage.
Organ gallery at the west end carried on columns of Baroque
design, bulbous in the lower part and of barley-sugar form
above; balustrade with square newel posts and balusters and
rail decorated with hearts and rosettes. The organ was
formerly at Douglas Support.
Entrance at the north-west corner under pedimented canopy
carried on slim columns whose upper parts are decorated with
spiral fluting.
The Leader's Room, at the west end of the ancillary
accommodation, has a fireplace flanked by elaborate columns
decorated with fluting and carrying a canopy.
(Architect's drawings by A.B.Pite.; Information from Ruth

Listing NGR: TQ3034783940

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.