This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7833 / 50°46'59"N
Longitude: -3.6466 / 3°38'47"W
OS Eastings: 284017
OS Northings: 99485
OS Grid: SX840994
Mapcode National: GBR L9.ZVCG
Mapcode Global: FRA 3770.R53
Plus Code: 9C2RQ9M3+89
Entry Name: Crediton Railway Station Main Range
Listing Date: 24 August 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197092
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387104
Location: Crediton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Crediton
Built-Up Area: Crediton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Crediton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX89NW STATION ROAD
672-1/2/153 Crediton Railway Station Main Range
Main range to Crediton railway station, opened 1851. Possibly
designed by I.K.Brunel (Pevsner) for the Exeter and Crediton
Railway. Flemish bond red brick with painted Bathstone
dressings; slate roof with gable ends; shouldered stack with
tall brick shaft; cast iron gutters.
Exterior: Single story. Asymmetrical 1:2:2 bay north
(entrance) front, the outer bays with lower roofs. Centre
broken forward with a canopy on timber cantilevered brackets
over a canted bay with a 5-light window with a high transom
and chamfered mullions. Chamfered 4-centred arched doorway to
the right with a C20 door. The other windows (1 to left, 2 to
right) have deep chamfered frames and rusticated surrounds.
South side of 2:2:1 bays and a canopy on timber cantilevered
brackets with 4 cast iron brackets decorated with roundels.
Canopy extends the width of the platform. The centre bays
break forward with a 4-light mullion and transom window
matching that on the north and a similar (blocked) 4-centred
arch doorway. Window to right (east) also 4-centred with
chamfered surround; two windows to left of door match those on
Interior: Not fully inspected but a C19 cornice survives in
the ticket office; probably original plain corner chimneypiece
to south-east room.
Pevsner notes a similarity to GWR wayside stations.
Historical Note: The complicated early history of the line,
which began in 1839, led to it being known as the 'Vicar of
Bray Railway'. Eventually the Exeter and Crediton Railway (Act
obtained 1845) was leased to the Bristol and Exeter Railway
who reconverted to broad guage and opened May 12 1851 until
the LSWR took over the lease in 1862 (St John Thomas).
Surprisingly intact and part of a good group of associated
(A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: St John
Thomas, David,: The West Country: PP.92-96; The Buildings of
England: Pevsner, N., & Cherry, B.,: Devon: London: P.300).
Listing NGR: SX8401799485
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings