History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Waiting Rooms Immediately East of Crediton Railway Station Main Range

A Grade II Listed Building in Crediton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7833 / 50°46'59"N

Longitude: -3.6464 / 3°38'46"W

OS Eastings: 284033

OS Northings: 99480

OS Grid: SX840994

Mapcode National: GBR L9.ZVG1

Mapcode Global: FRA 3770.R8D

Plus Code: 9C2RQ9M3+8F

Entry Name: Waiting Rooms Immediately East of Crediton Railway Station Main Range

Listing Date: 24 August 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1297292

English Heritage Legacy ID: 387106

Location: Crediton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Crediton

Built-Up Area: Crediton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Crediton

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Crediton

Listing Text


CREDITON

SX89NW STATION ROAD
672-1/2/155 Waiting rooms immediately east of
24/08/89 Crediton Railway Station Main Range

GV II

Railway station waiting rooms. Mid C19, either 1851 for the
Exeter and Crediton Railway or 1862 for the LSWR. Timber
framed, clad with weatherboarding on brick footings.
Low-pitched slate hipped roof with lead rolls to hips and
ridge; cast iron gutters and downpipes.
Plan: Rectangular on plan. Canopy over platform.
Exterior: Central post with curved braces to centre bays.
Outer bays each have one narrow 8-pane sash; returns and rear
blind; canopy on timber cantilevers.
Interior: Boarded walls; simple original timber benches fixed
to walls. C20 patterned floor tiles, probably replacing brick
paving. Original complete roof structure of substantial king
post and strut trusses with curved braces below the tie beams.
Historical Note: The complicated early history of the line,
which began in 1838, led to its being known as 'The Vicar of
Bray Railway', but eventually the Exeter and Crediton Railway
(Act of 1845) was leased to the Bristol and Exeter Railway who
reconverted to broad guage and opened on May 12 1851 until the
LSWR took over the lease in 1862 (St John Thomas, pp.92-96).
A simple C19 railway building, one of a good group of mixed
dates at Crediton station.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N., & Cherry, B.,: Devon:
London: P.300; A Regional History of the Railways of Great
Britain: St John Thomas, David,: The West Country: PP.92-96).


Listing NGR: SX8403399480

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.