History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Footbridge Immediately West of Crediton Railway Station Main Range

A Grade II Listed Building in Crediton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7834 / 50°47'0"N

Longitude: -3.648 / 3°38'52"W

OS Eastings: 283921

OS Northings: 99493

OS Grid: SX839994

Mapcode National: GBR L9.ZTYH

Mapcode Global: FRA 3770.QMB

Plus Code: 9C2RQ9M2+8R

Entry Name: Footbridge Immediately West of Crediton Railway Station Main Range

Listing Date: 24 August 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1209597

English Heritage Legacy ID: 387103

Location: Crediton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Crediton

Built-Up Area: Crediton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Crediton

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Crediton

Listing Text


CREDITON

SX8399 STATION ROAD
672-1/4/154 Footbridge immediately west of
24/08/89 Crediton Railway Station Main Range

GV II

Footbridge over railway line. 1878 (datestone), built for the
LSWR. Rock-faced, grey limestone piers with Bathstone
dressings; plate girder iron bridge and stair construction,
timber steps.
Plan: each pier contains a small store room and supports 2
flights of steps up to the bridge; those on the west side with
landings, those on the east lead onto the station platforms.
The east side of the bridge is unfloored and railed off with
cast iron railings.
Exterior: The piers have clasping buttresses and parapets with
plain coping. Each storeroom has a chamfered doorway on the
west side and crank-arched chamfered window on the outer face
with a 4-pane sash window. In the parapet above the south
window of the south pier there is a chamfered recessed panel
with a Shield inscribed "L. & S.W.R.Y. 1878." The flights of
steps on the west side of the bridge are supported on 4 cast
iron columns fluted capitals. The bridge was formerly roofed
over (information from railway worker).
Interior: The storerooms are plain with brick barrel-vaulted
roofs.
Historical Note: The complicated early history of the line,
which began in 1838, led to its being known as the 'Vicar of
Bray Railway', but eventually the Exeter and Crediton Railway
(Act of 1845) was leased to the Bristol and Exeter Railway who
converted to broad guage and opened May 12 1851 until the LSWR
took over the lease in 1862 (St John Thomas, pp.92-96).
An attractive bridge and part of a group of C19 railway
buildings of different dates.
(A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: St John
Thomas, David,: The West Country: PP.92-96).


Listing NGR: SX8392199493

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.