History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Signal Box West of Crediton Station Main Range

A Grade II Listed Building in Crediton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7834 / 50°47'0"N

Longitude: -3.6483 / 3°38'54"W

OS Eastings: 283894

OS Northings: 99502

OS Grid: SX838995

Mapcode National: GBR L9.ZTVX

Mapcode Global: FRA 3770.QGX

Plus Code: 9C2RQ9M2+9M

Entry Name: Signal Box West of Crediton Station Main Range

Listing Date: 24 August 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1292537

English Heritage Legacy ID: 387107

Location: Crediton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Crediton

Built-Up Area: Crediton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Crediton

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Crediton

Listing Text


CREDITON

SX8399 STATION ROAD
672-1/4/156 Signal box west of Crediton Station
24/08/89 Main Range

GV II

Railway signal box. Probably circa 1862 for the LSWR.Upper
storey timber-frame, clad with weatherboarding, ground floor
red brick laid in English bond; low-pitched hipped slate roof
with lead rolls to hips and short ridge; red brick lateral
stack.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Flight of timber steps on the east side
lead up to a projecting timber-framed porch on posts with
4-pane fixed windows on the east and south sides, the frame
clad with vertical boarding. The box has a tier of 4 over
4-pane windows below the eaves. Stack has shaft with moulded
cornice; rear (north) right single-storey outhut.
Interior: Not inspected.
Historical Note: The complicated early history of the line,
which began in 1838, led to its being known as 'The Vicar of
Bray Railway', but eventually the Crediton and Exeter Railway
(Act of 1845) was leased to the Bristol and Exeter Railway who
converted to broad guage and opened on 12 May 1851, until the
LSWR took over in 1862 (St John Thomas, pp.92-96).
An attractive C19 signal box, described as "typical of early
designs by the L.S.W.R."(Pevsner).One of a good group of
railway buildings of mixed dates at Crediton station.
(A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: St John
Thomas, David,: The West Country: PP.92-96; The Buildings of
England: Pevsner, N., & Cherry, B.,: Devon: London: P.300).


Listing NGR: SX8389499502

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.