This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7699 / 53°46'11"N
Longitude: -0.3711 / 0°22'16"W
OS Eastings: 507455
OS Northings: 431624
OS Grid: TA074316
Mapcode National: GBR GFD.50
Mapcode Global: WHGFK.8HJS
Entry Name: University of Hull Esk Building and Nidd Building
Listing Date: 21 January 1994
Last Amended: 2 September 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197598
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387519
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU6
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Bricknell
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull, Newland St John
Church of England Diocese: York
The entry for:
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA03SE COTTINGHAM ROAD
680-1/4/104 (North side)
Humberside University Wilberforce
Hall and Milner Hall
Shall be replaced by:
TA03SE COTTINGHAM ROAD
680-1 (North side)
University of Hull
GV Esk Building and Nidd Building
Formerly known as: College of Education COTTINGHAM ROAD.
University halls of residence and offices, and attached wall.
1909-1913. By Crouch, Butler & Savage. Brick and ashlar, with
ashlar dressings and slate hipped and mansard roofs with 6
panelled coped stacks.
Central block with flanking wings and projecting end
pavilions. Main block has a hipped centre, 4 storeys, with
3-storey parapeted side bays. 3-window range. Quoins, third
floor sill band, swept parapets. In the centre, a tall 4-light
cross mullioned window. Side bays have a tall stone surround
with keystone and a 16-pane sash on each floor. Above again, a
checkerboard panel and a Diocletian window with keystone. On
the ground floor, a plain stone doorway with pilasters,
flanked by small single-light windows and beyond, canted stone
bay windows with cross casements and topped with latticework
balconies. Continuous lintel band. Above the door, a swan neck
pediment embracing a 3-light mullioned window with open
pediment and double keystone.
Flanking wings, 2 storeys plus attics, have five 12-pane
sashes to first floor and attic dormers, and 16-pane sashes
below with round-arched recesses and double keystones.
Parapeted end pavilions have a single sash on the ground and
first floors and above again, a square latticed window with
Left return has a projecting central bay flanked by polychrome
pilasters with cornices, and stepped parapet. On the first
floor, a French window with overlight, and above, a similar
French window with fanlight and wrought-iron balcony. On
either side, square latticed windows. Below, a full-width
projection with balustraded balcony and central porch with 2
Tuscan columns in antis, flanked by canted bay windows with
cross casements. Central glazed double doors with overlight.
Milner Hall, at the rear, has an identical facade.
The ranges are linked towards the south end by a single-storey
corridor, 7 windows, with lattice balustrade. Central glazed
double door with overlight, flanked by 3 windows, all with
double keystones and set in round-arched recesses. 3-storey
returns have 5 windows on each floor and projecting single end
bays with first floor fire escapes. Linking the end bays, a
low latticework brick wall with stone coping and central steps
flanked by curved walls. Steps have matching balustrades and
square pedestals with ball finials.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner T: Yorkshire: York & the East
Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 284).
Listing NGR: TA0745531624
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings