This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7698 / 53°46'11"N
Longitude: -0.3697 / 0°22'10"W
OS Eastings: 507552
OS Northings: 431617
OS Grid: TA075316
Mapcode National: GBR GFD.G1
Mapcode Global: WHGFK.9H6V
Entry Name: University of Hull Wharfe Building and Attached Gateway
Listing Date: 24 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197596
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387515
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU6
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: University
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull, Newland St John
Church of England Diocese: York
The entry for:-
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA03SE COTTINGHAM ROAD
680-1/4/100 (North side)
Humberside University Marvell
Building and attached gateway
Shall be replaced by:-
TA03SE COTTINGHAM ROAD
680-1/4/100 University of Hull
Wharfe Building and attached
Formerly known as: College of Education COTTINGHAM ROAD.
University office building and attached gateway. 1909-1913. By
Crouch, Butler & Savage. Brick and ashlar with ashlar
dressings and slate hipped and mansard roofs with 8 panelled
Central block with flanking wings and projecting end
pavilions. Main block has a hipped centre, 4 storeys, with
3-storey parapeted side bays. 3-window range. Quoins, third
floor sill band, swept parapets. In the centre, a tall 4-light
cross mullioned window. Side bays have a tall stone surround
with keystone and a 16-pane sash on each floor. Above again, a
checkerboard panel and a Diocletian window with keystone. On
the ground floor, a plain stone doorway with pilasters,
flanked by small single-light windows and beyond, canted stone
bay windows with cross casements and topped with latticework
balconies. Continuous lintel band. Above the door, a swan neck
pediment embracing a 3-light mullioned window with open
pediment and double keystone.
Flanking wings, 2 storeys plus attics, have five 12-pane
sashes to first floor and attic dormers, and 16-pane sashes
below, with round-arched recesses and double keystones.
Parapeted end pavilions have a single sash on the ground and
first floors and above again, a square latticed window with
Right return has a 2-storey central entrance bay with stepped
parapet, flanked by polychrome pilasters with cornices. On the
first floor, a French window with overlight, and above, a
French window with fanlight and wrought-iron balcony. On
either side, a square latticed window. Ground floor has a
full-width canted projection with latticework balcony and
central porch with 2 Tuscan columns in antis, flanked by
single canted stone bay windows with cross casements. Central
glazed double door with overlight.
At the left end, a gateway linking the Marvell Building with
the Library. Central opening flanked by square polychrome
gatepiers with plinths and cornices. Beyond, short coped
walls, each with a round-arched pedestrian gateway with
keystone and blank fanlight.
(Buildings of England: N Pevsner: Yorkshire: York & the East
Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 284).
Listing NGR: TA0755231617
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings