This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7415 / 53°44'29"N
Longitude: -0.3355 / 0°20'7"W
OS Eastings: 509880
OS Northings: 428526
OS Grid: TA098285
Mapcode National: GBR GNQ.S5
Mapcode Global: WHGFR.T7F0
Plus Code: 9C5XPMR7+JR
Entry Name: Hands on History Museum
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Last Amended: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197660
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387797
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU1
County: Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Myton
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull Most Holy and Undivided Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA0928NE SOUTH CHURCH SIDE
680-1/22/358 (South side)
13/10/52 Old Grammar School Museum
(Formerly Listed as:
SOUTH CHURCH SIDE
Old Grammar School)
Museum. Built 1583 as the Hull Merchant Adventurers' Hall,
restored late C19, 1975 and 1987. Converted to a museum 1987.
Brick, with moulded brick dressings and renewed plain tile
roof with single C19 gable and ridge stacks and 3 rear wall
stacks, plus a square gable stack. Moulded first-floor band
and lintel band, low parapet, coped gables. 2 storeys plus
attics; 4 window main block.
Four 4-light cross mullioned windows on ground and first
floors, with moulded brick surrounds, mullions and transoms,
and leaded glazing. Between the ground-floor windows, 4 stone
plaques, 2 of them with ogee heads, with merchants' marks and
the date 1583. On the first floor, a central plaque with the
city arms. Above, 3 late C19 raking dormers with 3-light
mullioned windows to left and a 4-light window to right.
To right, an external staircase, now roofed, with moulded
brick coping to balustrade wall. Above, to left, a 3-light
mullioned window and below it, a slightly projecting square
porch with string course and coping and segment-headed door
with label mould. To right, a slit window on each floor. To
right again, another segment-headed door with label mould.
Rear elevation has central buttress and first-floor band. To
left, a 4-light cross casement with moulded brick mullions and
surround. To its right, 2 small single-light windows, then a
similar 3-light cross casement. Beyond, a single light
transomed window, then a cross casement, both with moulded
brick mullions and surrounds. Above, to right, 3 late C19
raking dormers. Below, four 4-light cross casements, the 3 to
left with their lower lights blocked, all with moulded brick
mullions and surrounds.
INTERIOR has first floor fitted out as folk museum. Ground
floor has has a cross-beam ceiling, early C19, carried on 6
late C17 fluted wooden Doric piers, resited c1883. At the
south-east end, a blocked Tudor arched doorway and window,
both blocked, at basement level. At the west end, a moulded
doorcase, late C17, with dentillated double cornice.
This building served until 1766 as the Merchant Adventurers'
Hall, and housed the Grammar School until 1878. It
subsequently became the Holy Trinity Choir School. Andrew
Marvell and William Wilberforce were pupils here.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner T: Yorkshire; York and The East
Riding: London: 1972-: 275-276).
Listing NGR: TA0988028526
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings