History in Structure

Ramsden Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.115 / 54°6'54"N

Longitude: -3.2301 / 3°13'48"W

OS Eastings: 319688

OS Northings: 469496

OS Grid: SD196694

Mapcode National: GBR 5NWV.HM

Mapcode Global: WH72H.CT3Q

Plus Code: 9C6R4Q89+2X

Entry Name: Ramsden Hall

Listing Date: 6 May 1976

Last Amended: 20 December 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1292603

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388393

Also known as: 48 Abbey Road

ID on this website: 101292603

Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Westmorland and Furness, Cumbria, LA14

County: Cumbria

District: Barrow-in-Furness

Electoral Ward/Division: Hindpool

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Barrow-in-Furness

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Barrow-in-Furness St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Tagged with: Public bath

Find accommodation in
Barrow in Furness



708-1/12/24 (North West side)
06/05/76 Ramsden Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
Old Baths)


Baths now disused. 1872. Patron James Ramsden. Brindled brick,
graduated slate roofs.
1-storey aisles enveloping taller centre with clerestorey;
chimney to rear left corner. 3x3 bays; symmetrical.
Entrance breaks forward and has double doors with narrow
panels beneath moulded segmental arch with ram's-head
keystone; frieze above inscribed 'PRESENTED TO THE TOWN BY
JAMES RAMDSEN ESQ. FIRST MAYOR'; cornice to swept roof with
flat top. Set back to each side are 3 small windows with
projecting sills and moulded, segmental arches with keystones;
dentilled parapet to flat roof. Behind these rise small gables
each with oculus and moulded ashlar copings. Taller centre
(set between the ridges of the gables) has sunken panel to
each side of tripartite casement beneath moulded brick arch
and broken segmental pediment with carving; hipped roof.
Right return: doorway on right has integral lantern in
overlight; 3 recessed panels each with 3 short windows having
linked sills and cambered arches. Lean-to roof (continued from
front gable) beneath 9 clerestorey windows having casements
with glazing bars; opening lights to windows 2, 5 and 8 have
scrollwork beneath segmental cornices on shaped brackets. Left
return: round, tapered chimney rises from aisle roof.
INTERIOR: bathing facilities removed. 3-bay arcades with
wooden posts and arch braces. Front end has moulded imposts to
broad arch and pointed side arches; ribbons in relief over.
Other end originally the same but now altered. Queen-post
trusses. Converted to a public hall in 1886, later became
annexe to College of Further Education.

Listing NGR: SD1968869496

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.