History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 5 and Attached Front Basement Railings and Piers

A Grade II Listed Building in Clifton, City of Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4512 / 51°27'4"N

Longitude: -2.6204 / 2°37'13"W

OS Eastings: 356986

OS Northings: 172650

OS Grid: ST569726

Mapcode National: GBR C2L.DM

Mapcode Global: VH88M.JSKD

Entry Name: Number 5 and Attached Front Basement Railings and Piers

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202207

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379528

Location: Bristol, BS8

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Clifton

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5672NE DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells
901-1/13/1422 (West side)
08/01/59 No.5
and attached front basement railings
and piers
(Formerly Listed as:
DOWRY SQUARE
No.5)

GV II

Attached house. 1748. Probably by Thomas Paty. Brick with
limestone dressings, brick gable and party wall stacks and a
pantile double-pile roof. Double-depth plan. Mid Georgian
style. 3 storeys, attic and basement; 3-window range.
Planned as a symmetrical side to No.4 (qv), with rusticated
pilaster strips to a moulded coping. Right-hand doorway has a
plain ashlar surround and cornice, and mid C19 two-panel door
with roundels and an integral rectangular overlight with
margin panes. Cambered heads with 5 stepped voussoirs to
6/6-pane sashes; 2 hipped dormers. Rear elevation has 2 hipped
dormers and semicircular-arched stair lights. INTERIOR not
inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached wrought-iron spear-headed
railings and gates, and capped piers to entrance steps.
A simpler design than No.4 (qv). Dowry Square was laid out by
Tully in 1720, and building continued until 1750. Each side
had a 5-window middle house and outer 3-window ones, of brick,
now altered and mostly rendered, to various designs.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 105; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 157).


Listing NGR: ST5698672650

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.