History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 6 and Attached Front Basement Walls and Piers

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clifton, City of Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4514 / 51°27'4"N

Longitude: -2.6203 / 2°37'12"W

OS Eastings: 356995

OS Northings: 172667

OS Grid: ST569726

Mapcode National: GBR C2L.FK

Mapcode Global: VH88M.JSM8

Entry Name: Number 6 and Attached Front Basement Walls and Piers

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202208

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379529

Location: Bristol, BS8

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Clifton

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5672NE DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells
901-1/13/1423 (North side)
08/01/59 No.6
and attached front basement walls
and piers
(Formerly Listed as:
DOWRY SQUARE
No.6)

GV II*

Attached house. c1725. By George Tully. Stucco over brick,
brick gable and party wall stacks and a pantile double-pile
roof. Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. 3 storeys,
attic and basement; 2-window range. Part of a terrace of 3
houses articulated by rusticated pilaster strips, with moulded
ground- and first-floor bands and a moulded coping, with a
central entrance wing extending across the corner of the
square. A right-hand doorway has a plain bracketed canopy,
3-pane overlight and 6-panel door. Lintels with 5 rusticated
voussoirs to 4/4-pane sashes in flush frames, and 9/9 sashes
to ground-floor left with fixed upper lights; slate hipped
dormer. Rear elevation has a 5-window range with 4/4-pane
sashes in exposed frames, and 3 slate-hung dormers with
6/6-pane sashes.
INTERIOR: dogleg stair with square newels, moulded pine
handrail, turned balusters. Left-hand ground-floor room
panelled with shell niche and brown marble surround to
fireplace.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front basement area walls and
piers.
Dowry Square was laid out by Tully in 1720, and building
continued until 1750. Each side had a 5-window middle house
and outer 3-window ones, of brick, now altered and mostly
rendered, to various designs. A plaque records that Sir
Humphrey Davy lived here 1799-1801.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 105).


Listing NGR: ST5699572667

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.