History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 7 and Attached Front Basement Walls and Piers

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clifton, City of Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4514 / 51°27'4"N

Longitude: -2.6201 / 2°37'12"W

OS Eastings: 357004

OS Northings: 172667

OS Grid: ST570726

Mapcode National: GBR C2L.GK

Mapcode Global: VH88M.JSP8

Entry Name: Number 7 and Attached Front Basement Walls and Piers

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202209

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379530

Location: Bristol, BS8

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Clifton

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5772NW DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells
901-1/14/1424 (North side)
08/01/59 No.7
and attached front basement walls
and piers
(Formerly Listed as:
DOWRY SQUARE
No.7)

GV II*

Attached house. c1725. By George Tully. Stucco over brick,
brick party wall stacks and a pantile double-pile roof.
Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. 3 storeys, attic and
basement; 3-window range.
Part of a terrace of 3 houses articulated by rusticated
pilaster strips, with moulded ground- and first-floor bands
and a moulded coping. A right-hand doorway has fluted Ionic
pilasters, entablature and segmental broken pediment, 3-pane
overlight and 6-panel door. Lintels with 5 rusticated
voussoirs to 4/4-pane sashes in flush frames, and a slate
hipped dormer.
INTERIOR: entrance hall divided by a semicircular keyed arch
from a rear dogleg stair with uncut string, column balusters
and square newels; 2-panel doors, panelled shutters and
fireplaces. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front basement area
walls, capped piers and wrought-iron railings.
Dowry Square was laid out by Tully in 1720, and building
continued until 1750. Each side had a 5-window middle house
and outer 3-window ones, of brick, now altered and mostly
rendered, to various designs.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 105).


Listing NGR: ST5700472667

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.