This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4513 / 51°27'4"N
Longitude: -2.6199 / 2°37'11"W
OS Eastings: 357017
OS Northings: 172660
OS Grid: ST570726
Mapcode National: GBR C2L.HL
Mapcode Global: VH88M.JSS9
Plus Code: 9C3VF92J+G2
Entry Name: Number 9 and Attached Front Basement Walls and Piers
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202210
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379532
Location: Clifton, Bristol, BS8
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5772NW DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells
901-1/14/1426 (North side)
and attached front basement walls
(Formerly Listed as:
Attached house. c1725. By George Tully. Limestone ashlar and
render, brick gable and party wall stacks and a slate
double-pile roof. Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. 3
storeys, attic and basement; 5-window range.
A symmetrical front has a banded ground floor, rusticated
pilaster strips, ground- and first-floor strings and a moulded
coping. A good doorway has fluted Ionic pilasters to
entablature blocks and a broken segmental pediment, 3-pane
overlight and 6-panel door, the top 4 raised. Lintels with 5
rusticated voussoirs to 6/6-pane sashes in flush frames, 3
slate hipped dormers and a square slate-hung ridge lantern.
Roughcast rear elevation has outer full-height closet blocks
with pyramidal roofs, 3 hipped dormers, and Pennant rubble
drips over the windows.
INTERIOR: panelled entrance hall divided by a panelled
elliptical arch from a good rear open-well stair with 3
column-on-vase balusters per tread, the middle one twisted,
ramped and moulded rail to a wide curtail, and ramped
wainscot; eared fire surrounds and panelled overmantels, with
semicircular-arched side niches; 4-panel doors, cornices and
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front basement area walls, piers
with brackets and wrought-iron railings.
Dowry Square was laid out by Tully in 1720, and building
continued until 1750. Each side had a 5-window middle house
and outer 3-window ones, of brick, now altered and mostly
rendered, to various designs.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 105).
Listing NGR: ST5701772660
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings