History in Structure

Number 10 and Attached Basement Area Railings and Piers

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clifton, City of Bristol

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4513 / 51°27'4"N

Longitude: -2.6198 / 2°37'11"W

OS Eastings: 357029

OS Northings: 172656

OS Grid: ST570726

Mapcode National: GBR C2L.JM

Mapcode Global: VH88M.JSWB

Plus Code: 9C3VF92J+G3

Entry Name: Number 10 and Attached Basement Area Railings and Piers

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1280221

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379533

ID on this website: 101280221

Location: Hotwells, Bristol, BS8

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Tagged with: House

Find accommodation in



901-1/14/1427 (North side)
08/01/59 No.10
and attached basement area railings
and piers
(Formerly Listed as:


Attached house. c1746. By George Tully. Built by Richard
Matthews. Limestone ashlar and render over brick, brick gable
and party wall stacks and a pantile double-pile roof.
Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style.
3 storeys, basement and attic; 4-window range. Part of an
attached pair with a rusticated ground floor, moulded ground-
and first-floor bands and a moulded coping. A good doorway set
between the outer windows, a centrally place window to the
right, has fluted Ionic pilasters to a pulvinated frieze,
segmental pediment and a 6-panel door. Segmental-arched
windows have keyed architraves with sill blocks to 6/6-pane
sashes; 2 hipped dormers.
INTERIOR: entrance hall with a good open-well stair, panelled
doors and shutters.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached entrance walls, capped piers and
wrought-iron basement area railings.
Dowry Square was laid in 1720 by Tully and building continued
until 1750. The sides had brick 5-window central houses and
3-window flanking ones, most now rendered and altered.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 205; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 157).

Listing NGR: ST5702972656

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.