History in Structure

Number 11 and Attached Front Basement Railings and Piers

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clifton, City of Bristol

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4512 / 51°27'4"N

Longitude: -2.6196 / 2°37'10"W

OS Eastings: 357038

OS Northings: 172654

OS Grid: ST570726

Mapcode National: GBR C2L.KM

Mapcode Global: VH88M.JSYC

Plus Code: 9C3VF92J+F4

Entry Name: Number 11 and Attached Front Basement Railings and Piers

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282299

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379534

ID on this website: 101282299

Location: Hotwells, Bristol, BS8

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in



901-1/14/1428 (North side)
08/01/59 No.11
and attached front basement railings
and piers
(Formerly Listed as:


Attached house. 1746. By George Tully. Built by Richard
Matthews. Limestone ashlar and render over brick, brick gable
and party wall stacks and a pantile double-pile roof.
Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. 3 storeys, attic and
basement; 3-window range.
One half of a pair with rusticated pilaster strips, moulded
ground- and first-floor bands and a moulded coping. The
doorway is placed symmetrically between 2 ground-floor
windows, with fluted Ionic pilasters to a pulvinated frieze
and segmental pediment, and 8-panel door. Windows with
cambered heads and keyed architraves to 6/6-pane sashes, some
with thick bars, and a single hipped dormer. The right-hand
elevation has 5-window range of 6/6-pane sashes in flush
frames and 3 slate-hung dormers.
INTERIOR: a good interior, details include a large entrance
hall divided by a panelled elliptical arch from a rear
open-well stair with uncut string, column balusters and a
ramped moulded rail. Fine first-floor right-hand room divided
by a shallow arch with reeded and fluted jambs, rocaille fire
surround with rope-moulded cast-iron baskets, 6- and 2-panel
doors, cornices and panelled shutters; brick-paved basement
has a niche with a tap, hood for hearth and fire surround and
bread oven. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached walls, piers and
wrought-iron basement area railings.
Dowry Square was laid out by Tully in 1720, and building
continued until 1750. Each side had a 5-window middle house
and outer 3-window ones, of brick, now altered and mostly
rendered, to various designs.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 105; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 157).

Listing NGR: ST5703872654

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.