History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 13 and Attached Front Area Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Clifton, Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.451 / 51°27'3"N

Longitude: -2.6198 / 2°37'11"W

OS Eastings: 357029

OS Northings: 172625

OS Grid: ST570726

Mapcode National: GBR C2L.JQ

Mapcode Global: VH88M.JSWK

Plus Code: 9C3VF92J+93

Entry Name: Number 13 and Attached Front Area Railings

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202211

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379536

Location: Clifton, Bristol, BS8

County: Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


901-1/14/1430 (East side)
08/01/59 No.13
and attached front area railings
(Formerly Listed as:


3 attached houses and dispensary, now one office. Dated 1823.
Limestone ashlar, with pantile roof. Double-depth plan. 2
storeys and basement; 5-window range.
A symmetrical front has end rusticated pilaster strips to a
deep moulded cornice and parapet, with a raised central panel
inscribed CLIFTON DISPENSARY/1823. A good raised Roman Doric
porch has curved Pennant steps at each side, entablature and
parapet, to a wide semicircular-arched doorway with reeded
architrave, fanlight and margin lights, and 6-panel door;
doorways at either end have pilaster jambs and moulded
lintels, plate-glass overlights and 6-panel doors. Tripartite
windows have pilaster jambs to moulded lintels, plain on the
basement, with 6/6-pane sashes.
INTERIOR: entrance hall to an axial passage, rear central
stair flight with a quarter landing, stick balusters, column
newels, ramped wreathed rail and curtail; right-hand stair
removed. Reeded architraves with roundels, marble fire
surrounds with roundels and good cast-iron fireplaces.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached wrought-iron front basement area
and porch railings with urn finials.
The first use of tripartite windows in Bristol, a
characteristic feature of later villa and terrace designs in
the city, and the work of '...an architect of experience and
learning' (Gomme).
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 230).

Listing NGR: ST5702972625

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.