This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4511 / 51°27'3"N
Longitude: -2.6197 / 2°37'10"W
OS Eastings: 357036
OS Northings: 172639
OS Grid: ST570726
Mapcode National: GBR C2L.KN
Mapcode Global: VH88M.JSYG
Plus Code: 9C3VF92J+C4
Entry Name: Number 12 and Attached Front Area Railings and Piers
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206485
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379535
Location: Bristol, BS8
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5772NW DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells
901-1/14/1429 (East side)
and attached front area railings and
(Formerly Listed as:
House, now school. Dated 1750. Possibly designed by Thomas
Paty. Built by Richard Matthews. Roughcast with limestone
dressings, gable stacks and a pantile double-pile roof.
Double-depth plan. Mid Georgian style. 3 storeys, attic and
bsement; 5-window range.
A symmetrical front has rusticated pilaster strips to a
moulded coping. The doorway has curved steps up, and shallow
blocked jambs and a stepped key to an 8-panel door. Cambered
heads with 5 stepped voussoirs, with a console pediment to the
centre on the first floor and a console cornice to the second
floor above, to 6/6-pane ground- and first-floor sashes, with
thick bars on the first floor, and 3/6-panes on the second;
late C18 timber canted bay to the right has 8/8-pane sashes in
flush frames. Rear elevation has a central shallow, gabled
INTERIOR: entrance passage divided by a semicircular arch with
key and cornice, rear dogleg stair with uncut string, column
balusters and paired newels, and a ramped, moulded rail; plain
fire surrounds, 4-panel doors and panelled shutters.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front area walls, railings and
piers. Dowry Square was laid out by George Tully in 1720, and
building continued until 1750.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 105; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 156).
Listing NGR: ST5703672639
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings