This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.191 / 52°11'27"N
Longitude: -1.7067 / 1°42'23"W
OS Eastings: 420149
OS Northings: 254793
OS Grid: SP201547
Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.MB0
Mapcode Global: VHBY0.C6M6
Plus Code: 9C4W57RV+C8
Entry Name: The Shakespeare Hotel
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204394
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366183
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon
Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP2054NW CHAPEL STREET
604-1/10/39 (South East side)
25/10/51 The Shakespeare Hotel
Three buildings now forming hotel. Part to left (Four Gables)
is C16 with later alterations and front rebuilt 1920; part to
right (Five Gables) is early C16; building to right end
(No.19) is c1720 with C20 alterations. Timber-frame with
plaster infill on rubble plinth; tile roof with brick stacks;
No.19 of brick with buff headers on rubble plinth, roof has
slate to front, tile to rear.
2 storeys with attic; 4+5+2-window ranges. Ovolo-mullioned
windows with leaded glazing. Four Gables has left half
recessed under jettied attic with 2 gables and two 2-storey
canted bay windows of 1:4:1 mullioned and transomed windows,
similar 3-light attic windows; Tudor-headed entrance to right
of centre has pentice and inset C20 doors; canted bay window
to right end has hipped roof; 3-light transomed window over
entrance and 4-light gabled dormers; rubble lateral stack with
brick diagonal shafts and end stack. Storey-height posts with
middle rails; 1920 foundation stone to left of entrance.
Five Gables has jettied 1st floor and attic, 5 gables;
entrance to left of centre has wide-boarded studded door;
2-light window to left end and 1:3:1-light transomed canted
bay window to left of entrance; three 4-light transomed bay
windows to right; 1st floor has 3-light transomed windows and
smaller 2- and 3-light windows under upper jetty forming
continuous glazing; 3-light windows to attic. Close studding.
No.19 of 3 storeys; C20 entrance and windows: entrance with
paired doors under canted oriel with hipped roof to right of
6-light window to ground floor and 4-light 1st-floor window;
2nd floor has 4-light windows. Rear has gabled wings and
varied C19 and C20 additions; one cross-axial stack has
INTERIOR: exposed chamfered beams and timber-framing; ground
floor has had some interior walls removed; some altered
fireplaces. Total frontage of approx 40m.
Four Gables was the Shakespeare Inn from 1788 and Five Gables
became part of the Shakespeare Hotel in the 1880s; No.19 was
incorporated in the C20.
(Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and
Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 20; History of the Streets of
Stratford-upon-Avon: Bearman R et al: Chapel Street:
Listing NGR: SP2014954793
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings