This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1909 / 52°11'27"N
Longitude: -1.7075 / 1°42'26"W
OS Eastings: 420093
OS Northings: 254777
OS Grid: SP200547
Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.M4K
Mapcode Global: VHBY0.C659
Entry Name: Chaucer Bookshop
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187775
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366181
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon
Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
CHAPEL STREET (South east side)
No.21, Chaucer Bookshop
Town house now shop/dwelling. Mid to late C16, refronted c1790. Timber-frame with brick cladding; front with buff headers; tile roof with rear lateral brick stack with blue brick diapering. Georgian style.
Two storeys; three-window range. Brick plinth, platt band over ground floor and top modillioned cornice. Entrance to left end has Doric aedicule with rusticated pilasters, triglyph frieze to entablature and pediment; six-panel door. Segmental-headed windows have sills, and keys to arches over twelve-pane sashes, but central first-floor window is blind. Rear has gabled wing with lower addition and narrow gabled wing to right; stack has pilaster strips to shaft; some exposed square-panelled timber-frame.
HISTORICAL NOTE: from 1597 to 1636 the home of Julius Shaw, a friend of Shakespeare and witness to his will. Hunt's Bank, Stratford's first bank was opened here c1790; from 1823 to 1835 the building was a public dispensary founded by Dr John Conolly, philanthropist and pioneer in the field of mental health. Occupied by Shakespeare Head Press from the early C20.
Listing NGR: SP2014854872
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings