History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Cathedral School

A Grade II Listed Building in Truro, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2647 / 50°15'52"N

Longitude: -5.0511 / 5°3'4"W

OS Eastings: 182644

OS Northings: 44975

OS Grid: SW826449

Mapcode National: GBR ZF.XGC7

Mapcode Global: FRA 089B.HYP

Entry Name: Old Cathedral School

Listing Date: 7 September 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1205242

English Heritage Legacy ID: 377352

Location: Truro, Cornwall, TR1

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Truro

Built-Up Area: Truro

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Mary Truro

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Truro

Listing Text


TRURO

SW8244NE CATHEDRAL CLOSE
880-1/7/31 Old Cathedral School
07/09/92

GV II

Cathedral School, now office, and the responds of
never-completed cloisters of the Cathedral. 1908 (foundation
stone). Chapter house by J L Pearson; cathedral school by
Frank Pearson. Roughly coursed rubble walls with freestone and
granite dressings; dry Delabole slate roofs with coped gable
ends; stone stack over cross wall towards rear and over
returned gable end.
Irregular shallow U-shaped plan. Late Gothic style. 2 storeys
with 4-storey tower; unaltered elevations. East front has
tower with parapet, left, with embattled stair turret on its
right; a 5-window range set back in the centre and a
projecting gable end with central external stack, on the
right. Stair turret 1st/2nd floor has pair of pointed arched
2-light traceried windows with hoodmould linked to tower
string; otherwise tower has 4-centred-arched, 3-light
mullioned windows and parapet string.
Middle range 1st floor has 2-light traceried and transomed
windows under basket arches with hoodmoulds under a moulded
eaves cornice and 6-light and 4-light transomed flat-headed
windows to ground floor. West elevation has 3-window range on
the left and 2-window tower on the right. 1st floor transomed
windows from left have 2:7:7:3:3 fenestration of 4-centred
arched lights. Ground floor has 3:4:2:4:2:1:2 fenestration of
flat-headed lights, most with transoms, and depressed
2-centred arched doorway at far right. Second and 3rd floors
of tower have 2 pairs of 4-light windows with 4-centred
arches.
South entrance front elevation is contrived out of the
responds of what was to be the interior of cloisters which
survive to 1.5 bays left of a wide doorway and 1 bay to the
right. Above the right-hand arch can be seen the weatherings
for the roof which was never built. The 1908 tower (extended
above) has 2 x 5-light mullioned windows to the 3rd floor
only, left and centre.
INTERIOR: 2 Gothic-style granite fireplaces with hoods, 2
other fireplaces inspected and some original doors with Gothic
detail.


Listing NGR: SW8264444979

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.