This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9937 / 51°59'37"N
Longitude: -2.1573 / 2°9'26"W
OS Eastings: 389292
OS Northings: 232812
OS Grid: SO892328
Mapcode National: GBR 1JK.TNG
Mapcode Global: VH93T.K5C0
Plus Code: 9C3VXRVV+F3
Entry Name: 15, High Street
Listing Date: 4 March 1952
Last Amended: 25 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206372
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376775
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8932 HIGH STREET
859-1/6/192 (West side)
(Formerly Listed as:
The Ancient Grudge Cafe)
Former hotel and cafe, empty at time of survey (November
1991). Late C16 refronting of early C16 house. Close-studded
timber-frame with herring-bone strutting, plaster panels, tile
roof, brick stack.
PLAN: the double-jettied front block has the roof parallel
with the street, a throughway to the left, and a long wing
rear service/hall to the right, with a half-hipped outer
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and basement, 2-windowed. At second floor
are 4-pane sashes in raised moulded jambs and head, with a
small single light on the return to the left. At first floor,
under a jetty, are slightly canted oriels with 2:4:2-pane
The ground floor has a C19 shop front in 2 canted bays with
sashes, on moulded cills, and a central part-glazed 2-panel
door with a shallow transom-light. To the left is an early
plank door with vertical battens in a 4-centred timber head
and spandrels with carved dragon or lion figures, on a stone
At first and second floors the jetty is carried on 3
decorative consoles, with a plain bressumer fascia and top
mould. Above the second-floor windows is a fascia band with
brackets to a deep entablature or blocking to a moulded
parapet, all in timber, and containing a concealed gutter.
The main roof, visible from the street, is in poor condition,
with loose tiles, at the time of survey. A lofty brick eaves
stack to the rear eaves, to the right.
The wing is in timber-framing with brick nogging, and with
tile roof, but on the S side the former jetty has been
underbuilt in brick. At the junction of this wing with the
back of the main building, which is here in small-panel
framing with rendering, is, at first floor, a canted section
joining the 2 parts. A raking 2-light dormer, and at first
floor a wide 2-light casement. In the gable is an early
INTERIOR: not accessible, but previous list notes doors with
linenfold panelling, and fine carved moulded ceiling beams.
SR Jones (VCH) notes c1530 moulded beams to ground-floor front
room, with ceiling boss carved with Agnus Dei, 4-centred
moulded fireplace with initials RB and fragments of linenfold
panelling. Rear wing may have been divided into hall and
An early and architecturally distinguished example, in West
Midlands carpentry school style, of the refrontings which were
a characteristic feature of Tewkesbury c1570-1670.
(Victoria County History: Gloucestershire: London: 1968-:
Listing NGR: SO8929232812
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings