This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9174 / 54°55'2"N
Longitude: -1.3795 / 1°22'46"W
OS Eastings: 439869
OS Northings: 558254
OS Grid: NZ398582
Mapcode National: GBR VD1.M4
Mapcode Global: WHD55.SN8L
Plus Code: 9C6WWJ8C+X5
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 10 November 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207083
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391462
Location: Sunderland, SR6
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's
Built-Up Area: Sunderland
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Monkwearmouth Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ35NE FULWELL ROAD
920-1/4/86 (West side)
10/11/78 Church of All Saints
Parish church. 1847-9. By John Dobson. Coursed squared
sandstone with ashlar plinth coping, quoins and dressings;
Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings and finials; stone
spire. Chancel with N vestry; nave with S aisle, SW spire and
S porch. Early English style. Buttresses, clasping at corners.
EXTERIOR: lower chancel has quatrefoil in E gable over 3
lancets stepped under continuous dripmould; sill string which
continues below 3 small lancets with dripmoulds on S
elevation. N vestry has lancet in stepped external chimney on
N gable. Lombard frieze to chancel and N nave elevation which
has tall paired lancets with sill string and continuous
dripmould. S aisle under continuous roof has S lancet, paired
S lights, boarded door in moulded arch of gabled porch. Square
SW tower has octagonal short second and third stages, the
third with shafted angles and lancet belfry openings, below
short spire. Paired W lancets below large vesica; clasping NW
buttress rises to square pinnacle with pyramid coping. C20
church hall obscures part of lower W elevation with lancet
INTERIOR: S arcade with hoodstring over chamfered pointed
acrhes on octagonal moulded capitals of round piers; high
chancel arch with dogtooth moulding in two orders; west organ
gallery; roof on corbelled wall-posts, nave hammerbeam,
chancel braced tiebeam with queen struts. Windows have
flower-ball stopped dripmoulds. Steps up to chancel and
sanctuary. Original pews with shaped ends; gothic pulpit; 1926
chancel panelling and clergy prayer-desk and seat; WWII font
of polished limestone with fluted bowl on slim pedestal.
Stained glass includes possibly original mid-C19 in E windows
with geometric bands and some high-quality mid-C20 glass in
second pair from E in aisle, and first pair from E on N.
Alexander Boddy, vicar from 1886 to 1922, was a founder of the
(Corfe T and Milburn G: Buildings and Beliefs: Sunderland:
Listing NGR: NZ3986958254
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings