This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9128 / 54°54'46"N
Longitude: -1.3829 / 1°22'58"W
OS Eastings: 439656
OS Northings: 557741
OS Grid: NZ396577
Mapcode National: GBR VCJ.W3
Mapcode Global: WHD55.QSN4
Plus Code: 9C6WWJ78+4R
Entry Name: Hebron Church with Attached Gates
Listing Date: 10 November 1978
Last Amended: 17 October 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207111
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391539
Location: Sunderland, SR5
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's
Built-Up Area: Sunderland
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Monkwearmouth Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ3957 NORTH BRIDGE STREET
920-1/11/159 (East side)
10/11/78 Hebron Church with attached gates
(Formerly Listed as:
NORTH BRIDGE STREET
Formerly known as: Free Church of Scotland NORTH BRIDGE
Presbyterian church with gates attached. Now Church of the
Assemblies of God (Hebron Church). 1891-2. By WL Newcombe on
site of 1827 Scotch Chapel by John Dobson. Rock faced
sandstone with granite shafts and ashlar dressings, quoins and
spire. Roof graduated Lakeland slate. Sanctuary and aisled
nave with W entrance hall, NW entrance porch and SW tower
entrance. Decorated style with perpendicular aisles.
EXTERIOR: 5-light E window, within school attached. Three
3-light square-headed aisle windows with tracery, and paired
2-light pointed-arched clerestory windows with dripstring. W
front to street has N door under parapet to N aisle, S door in
buttressed tower, both moulded with 2 orders of granite
nook-shafts, central gabled projecting niche rises from high
plinth continuous with tower buttress and N porch projection,
below 2 tall 3-light windows with sill and drip strings.
Vesica in gable, 5 small stepped lights, outer ones blind, in
gable peak. Tower has high second stage with small 2-light
window below and paired roundels above, tall paired moulded
and shafted belfry openings below pinnacled moulded parapet,
tall broach spire with bands of blind tracery and lucarnes
with long gargoyles and carved finials to gablets, plus
weathercock finial. Steeply-pitched roof has roll-moulded
gable copings and cross finials.
INTERIOR: 3-bay arcades with wide pointed double chamfered
arches on fat round Shap granite piers with ashlar bases and
moulded capitals. Sanctuary arch has 2 orders of corbel shafts
with crocket capitals. Segmental-arched beamed roof, boarded
over beams, rests on wall shafts and shafts from arcade.
Sanctuary has high panelling with Tudor flower frieze. Full
width pulpit and choir platform has 2 levels of boarded
parapets with Gothic decoration. Boarded pews.
Glass clear or plain colours in quarries except for E window
c1892 with figures of Christ and Evangelists set in
geometric-style patterns. N sanctuary c1904 Christ and
children, and Good Samaritan. S aisle middle c1938 in LC
Evetts style showing Christ calming the storm, and W window
Christ and the fishermen, calming the storm, and with Peter
walking on the water, set in geometric Gothic background; N
aisle E end c1896 by Atkinson Bros.
(Corfe T and Milburn G: Buildings and Beliefs: Sunderland:
1984-: 26; ).
Listing NGR: NZ3965657741
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings