This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0744 / 54°4'27"N
Longitude: -2.8783 / 2°52'42"W
OS Eastings: 342624
OS Northings: 464633
OS Grid: SD426646
Mapcode National: GBR 8PBB.N5
Mapcode Global: WH83Z.RVKC
Entry Name: Former Station Building and Lighthouse, Stone Jetty
Listing Date: 20 January 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207223
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391853
Location: Morecambe, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA4
Civil Parish: Morecambe
Built-Up Area: Morecambe
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Morecambe St Barnabas
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
MORECAMBE AND HEYSHAM
SD4264 MARINE ROAD CENTRAL, Morecambe
939-1/5/41 (North side (off))
Former station building and
lighthouse, stone jetty
Former station and lighthouse, now used for fish storage.
Station building early 1850s, with lighthouse added shortly
Coursed squared sandstone with slate roof.
Single-storey station. On the north-east side, facing the
jetty, the roof overhangs to form a canopy. The door and
window openings have painted stone surrounds and the windows
have external shutters. There are windows separating the 4
doors, with 2 further windows to the right and with paired
window openings between the 1st and 2nd doors.
Early photographs show the facade to be relatively unaltered,
apart from the enlargement of window openings and removal of
chimney caps. The left-hand gable wall, facing the land, has 2
window openings separated by a central mullion.
The right-hand gable wall contains 2 doorways and 2 windows,
all partly filled with masonry. The south-west wall, close to
the edge of the jetty, contains 6 windows with stone
surrounds. 2 with central mullions dividing them into 2
Adjoining the west end, and linked to it by the handrail of
the walkway, is a lighthouse with a square base broached to an
octagonal tower of rock-faced sandstone. The walkway is
treated as a moulded capital and carries iron railings. The
lantern has a white-painted ogee cap with finial.
During 1852 a goods warehouse and crane was erected on the
jetty whose construction was legalised by the North Western
Railway Act of 1852, and a steamer service was then operating
to Peel and to the north of Ireland.
(Baughan P E: The Midland Railway North of Leeds: 1987-: 293).
Listing NGR: SD4262464633
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings