This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6694 / 51°40'9"N
Longitude: 0.3824 / 0°22'56"E
OS Eastings: 564844
OS Northings: 199427
OS Grid: TQ648994
Mapcode National: GBR NJW.7HW
Mapcode Global: VHJKD.L90K
Entry Name: Ingatestone House (South West Part)
Listing Date: 20 February 1976
Last Amended: 9 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207567
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373679
Location: Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood, Essex, CM4
Civil Parish: Ingatestone and Fryerning
Built-Up Area: Ingatestone
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Ingatestone St Edmund and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
INGATESTONE AND FRYERNING
TQ6499 HIGH STREET, Ingatestone 723-1/14/394 (North West side) 20/02/76 No.126
Ingatestone House (south-west part)
(Formerly Listed as:
HIGH STREET, Ingatestone
(North West side)
School, later house, now combined with house to NE. Early C19, extended in
C19. Red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade redclay tiles.
Rectangular main range facing SE with an external stack at each side. The
right stack is enclosed in the front left corner of the house to right; the
left stack is enclosed in a C19 single-storey service wing to left, with a
slate roof, part of which has been extended to the rear to form a garage
with rear access. 2 adjacent rear wings bonded together; the left rear
wing has an internal stack at the end, and has been altered at the left so
that this side of the roof is of lower pitch than the remainder, roofed
with slate. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 2 original sashes of 6+6 lights with
flat arches of gauged brick. First floor, 3 original sashes of 8+8 lights.
All have painted reveals, some crown glass. Central doorway, blocked to
form a fixed light of 12 panes and a single panel below, in simple
pilastered and pedimented doorcase. Symmetrical elevation. Hipped roof.
The left stack, where visible above the extension, has tumbling courses at
the shoulders. Inscribed in the right return, about one metre above ground
level, are the initials WC or WG and the date 1814. This is a likely
position for the initials of the master mason and the date of construction.
The left elevatlon of the left rear wing has on the ground floor one early
C19 sash of 12+12 lights with a segmental brick arch; the casement of 6+6
lights above it may be early C19 also. The rear elevation has on the ground floor, at the junction of the parallel wings, one early C19 casement of 6+6 lights with a segmental brick arch, and on the first floor of the left rear
wing a similar casement; both have stone sills. The rear elevation of the
service range to left has a C19 casement of 12+12 lights with some handmade glass. The combined house is shown on the OS map as Nos 124 and 126.
HISTORICAL NOTE:-a seminary for young ladies called Ingatestone House was
opened here in 1815 by Mrs Harvey and Miss Buchanan. It was recorded as The Academy in 1843, occupied by John and Ann Tabrum. In 1851 there were 25
resident pupils, and in 1861 19 resident pupils aged 5-10 years. It was
still Ingatestone House School in 1905, headmaster Thomas Watkins.
(Kemble JVH: Survey of Ingatestone High Street: 1987-).
Listing NGR: TQ6484399427
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings