This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5721 / 52°34'19"N
Longitude: -2.1382 / 2°8'17"W
OS Eastings: 390733
OS Northings: 297146
OS Grid: SO907971
Mapcode National: GBR 1BQ.3C
Mapcode Global: WHBFZ.4M31
Entry Name: Royal Wolverhampton School
Listing Date: 8 August 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207637
English Heritage Legacy ID: 378519
Location: Wolverhampton, WV3
County: City of Wolverhampton
Electoral Ward/Division: Blakenhall
Built-Up Area: Wolverhampton
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Central Wolverhampton
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SO99NW PENN ROAD
895-1/5/365 (East side)
03/02/77 Royal Wolverhampton School
Orphanage, now school. 1853, by Joseph Manning; extensions of
1863, Headmaster's residence, 1885, and dormitory wing, c1900.
Brick with blue brick diapering and ashlar dressings; slate
roof with brick stacks. Elizabethan style. 2 storeys;
symmetrical 9-window range with gabled end wings. Top cornice
with panels of blind balustrading; shaped gables with finials;
quoins. Double-chamfered-mullioned and transomed windows
mostly of 2 lights; 2-storey bay windows of 4 lights under the
gables. Central 4-stage tower has entrance with 4-centred head
and paired doors, Royal Arms above between lozenges; 2 statues
of charity children on plinths flank 2-storey canted oriel of
1:2:1 lights with top balustrading; 3-light window above; top
clock faces and shaped gables with angle finials; recessed
swept spirelet; black letter inscriptions over entrance and
bay windows of centre range. Later flanking 4-window ranges
with end gables; later 4-window range to left end and 2-window
attached Headmaster's residence to right end; 2 rear wings
flank projecting hall; long dormitory wing projects to rear
right. Headmaster's residence is similar; shaped gable to
right. Returns and rear wings have similar details; hall
windows and some others have original decorative glazing.
INTERIOR: hall with hammer-beam roof, canted apse and gallery
with contemporary organ; Gothic style fireplace; some flashed
and etched glass lozenges to windows to right; stairs to
flanking wings have enriched iron balusters and square newels
with finials. The building was opened as the Wolverhampton
Orphan Asylum by J.Lees, the founder.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
Listing NGR: SO9073397146
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings