This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0499 / 54°2'59"N
Longitude: -2.8035 / 2°48'12"W
OS Eastings: 347486
OS Northings: 461847
OS Grid: SD474618
Mapcode National: GBR 8PVL.VZ
Mapcode Global: WH846.XG4M
Entry Name: 1 Castle Hill
Listing Date: 18 February 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1220647
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383062
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/09/2014
CASTLE HILL (East side)
Warehouse and workshop, now flats. 1770, gutted by fire 1985, then converted. Probably by Richard Gillow. Squared and coursed sandstone with quoins and ashlar dressings. Stone slate roof. Irregular L-shaped plan, with a double-depth front range and a rear wing extending to the left into a side wing behind Gillow's former office. 3 storeys with a central loading slot flanked by windows, all with plain stone surrounds. On the ground floor the centre has recent glazed doors. The windows, of which the one to the right has been inserted into a former doorway, are of 16 panes with glazing bars with lozenges at the intersections and Gothick intersecting tracery in the head (a pattern which matches the doors of a bookcase in the Gillow pattern book of 1770). The first and second-floor windows have, respectively,12 and 9 fixed panes. To the right of the top stage of the loading slot are the stone brackets of a former crane. The wing to the rear of No.1a Castle Hill (qv) has two C17 chamfered doorways on the ground floor.
HISTORY: built for the manufacture and display of furniture by the Gillows, who were described by Thomas Pennant in his 'Tour of Scotland' as 'very ingenious cabinet-makers... who fabricate most excellent and neat goods at remarkably cheap rates, which they export to London and the plantations'.
This warehouse was described by Richard Gillow as 'newly built' in June 1770.
Listing NGR: SD4749061838
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings