This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8695 / 51°52'10"N
Longitude: 0.1051 / 0°6'18"E
OS Eastings: 545030
OS Northings: 221089
OS Grid: TL450210
Mapcode National: GBR LCB.PF0
Mapcode Global: VHHLT.R8YN
Entry Name: The Bury
Listing Date: 30 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1220972
English Heritage Legacy ID: 394658
Location: Little Hadham, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG11
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Little Hadham
Built-Up Area: Bury Green
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Little Hadham
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 4521 LITTLE HADHAM BURY GREEN
12/18 The Bury
House. Later C16 (Manor Court Rolls of Little Hadham moved from
Bury to church tower for safekeeping in 1585 (Minet (1914) 106)
possibly occasioned by rebuilding: house marked on Clintons
Estate map of 1588 in HRO). '1572' marked in modern plaster of E
gable of N cross wing. Long low timber frame, facing E with 2
cross wings. S wing rebuilt with 2 storeys, attic and cellar and
stair tower formerly in angle, in early C17. Interior remodelled
early C19. 2 storeys flat roofed corridor and entrance addition
on E side, single storey dining room added at rear of N wing
linking to former granary, and house cased in red brick on Ground
floor with plaster pargetting on upper floor, in this century.
Old red tile gabled roofs, half-hipped on granary. Central
chimney in middle of house and inserted floor with chamfered and
stopped beams of early C17, but cambered tie beam of open truss
of hall survives in bedroom to N of chimney, carried on heavy
jowled posts. Bressummer on N side of S wing, exposed
internally, shows this wing was close studded. This wing has an
early C19 central stair and contemporary fire surrounds to
external gable chimneys. Early C18 2 panel doors to attics lit
by 2 casement windows in the 2 gables on the S. Cellar under E
half of this wing. Small-paned wooden casements used generally.
Late C17 or early C18 timber frame plastered granary now forms a
high room with loft over carried on 2 deeply chamfered
crossbeams. 2 bay clasped purlin roof structure over with tie
beam cut and set higher. Modern dining room on its E has
elaborate carved wooden fire surround, dado and C17 small
panelled door with cockspur hinges all said to have come from
Albury Hall, now demolished. Late C18/early C19 6-panel moulded
doors in all parts of the house. Interesting carved oak fluted
fire surround on S side of central chimney. Administrative
centre of the Bishop of Ely's manor of Little Hadham, which
passed to the Cecil family in 1601-2 (VCH (1914) 53-4).
Listing NGR: TL4503021089
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings