This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8088 / 51°48'31"N
Longitude: -1.6365 / 1°38'11"W
OS Eastings: 425156
OS Northings: 212299
OS Grid: SP251122
Mapcode National: GBR 5SW.F34
Mapcode Global: VHBZS.LS6R
Entry Name: Caroline Jane
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 1 March 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1224325
English Heritage Legacy ID: 420353
Location: Burford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Burford
Built-Up Area: Burford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Burford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BURFORD AND UPTON HIGH STREET
AND SIGNET (Weet Side)
SP2512 (Enlargement) No 48 (Caroline Jane)
7/124 (Previously listed as
12.9.55 The Book Shop).
House and shop. Built as one with the Cotswold Arms (q.v.) and therefore
probably once part of an inn. Late mediaeval with late C17 freestone
front and Cotswold stone roof, wall-plate exposed. 2 storeys and attic.
2 gabled dormers. 4 windows on 1st floor, rebated mullion windows with
drips, to left a 2-storey angled bay with drip-cornice to 1st floor and
chamfered recess for wider ground floor also with cornice, ground floor
has tripartite glazing-bar sashes in centre and the whole bay stands on a
moulded plinth - altogether a good feature. C2O door in lightly chamfered
Tudor arch doorway to right of centre, bracketed C2O stone hood over. The
fine Tudor archway to right is actually part of the Cotswold Arms (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SP2515612299
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings