This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8075 / 51°48'26"N
Longitude: -1.637 / 1°38'13"W
OS Eastings: 425124
OS Northings: 212155
OS Grid: SP251121
Mapcode National: GBR 5SW.LYX
Mapcode Global: VHBZS.KTYR
Plus Code: 9C3WR947+X6
Entry Name: 124, High Street, Burford
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 1 March 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1224598
English Heritage Legacy ID: 420663
Location: Burford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
Civil Parish: Burford
Built-Up Area: Burford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Burford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 05/03/2018
BURFORD AND UPTON AND SIGNET
HIGH STREET (West Side)
(Formerly listed as No 124 (R Reavley Chemist), previously listed as premises adjoining Barclays Bank on the south)
House, once a hostelry, shop below. c.1700-20 remodelling of C15 building incorporating an earlier roof-structure. Jettied timber-frame and rendered front, except for rubble set-back right hand part, rubble side elevation, hipped Cotswold stone roof with ashlar side chimney to left. L-plan.
Two storeys; a pair of glazing-bar sashes on first floor in moulded architraves, Cotswold stone pentice over front; restored angled bay window with glazing bars to left, wooden panelled c.1700 screen to right with two glazing-bar sash windows. Hipped one bay return extension and a set-back two-storey three-window wing to west.
Interior: in the shop a large octagonal timber post in centre of ground floor bressumer with residual moulding to cap. Newel stair in angle with paired entry door; stairs with slender balusters possible contemporary (c.1720). To rear lobby a splat-baluster ventilated larder door. Important roof-structure: the hall has a large intact arch-braced truss at north end (seen as a simplified hammerbean roof by M Laithewaite), chamfered edges and smoke blackening. The former solar roof is lower and of four bays; there are two archbraced trusses now on tie-beams, they carry a square ridge, king-posts to low saddlepieces, and the ridges are braced from the king posts, edges chamfered, wind-braces removed. The only other example of this kind of roof inspected locally was in the Old Rectory, Westwell.
Originally the "Novum Hospitium Anycilere."
Michael Laithwaite: The Buildings of Burford (in Perspectives in Urban History 1973 (ed. Alan Everitt).
Listing NGR: SP2512412155
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings