This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8073 / 51°48'26"N
Longitude: -1.6371 / 1°38'13"W
OS Eastings: 425117
OS Northings: 212134
OS Grid: SP251121
Mapcode National: GBR 5SW.LXW
Mapcode Global: VHBZS.KTWX
Entry Name: The Tolsey
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1224632
English Heritage Legacy ID: 420664
Location: Burford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Burford
Built-Up Area: Burford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Burford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BURFORD AND UPTON HIGH STREET
AND SIGNET (West Side)
SP2512 (Enlargement) The Tolsey
Town-hall and market-house. C16 (1st documented 1561). Rendered timber-
frame raised on stone piers, Cotswold stone roof. L-plan, open front to
ground floor. Gabled 2-storey front, coved eaves. Two C20 angled bays on
1st floor with 1:4:1 lights. Open 4 x 2-bay ground floor on octagonal
stone piers, Tudor arch niche to rear. The right hand front gable has a
pair of beams projecting with late C19 circular clock and a bell below.
The side elevation is angled to Sheep Street. 2-storey extension to rear
with a pair of glazing-bar sashes to North and an ashlar chimney.
Interior: the front 2-bay chamber has a central post with arched braces
to flanking trusses, the rear part has stepped corbels to truss. The
lock-up (studded door survives) was probably at rear on ground floor. The
front was used to house the fire engine up the early in the C20. Now a
museum of Burford.
Listing NGR: SP2511712134
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings