History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burford, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8094 / 51°48'33"N

Longitude: -1.6376 / 1°38'15"W

OS Eastings: 425079

OS Northings: 212369

OS Grid: SP250123

Mapcode National: GBR 5SW.DSV

Mapcode Global: VHBZS.KSM8

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1224757

English Heritage Legacy ID: 420902

Location: Burford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Burford

Built-Up Area: Burford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Burford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Burford

Listing Text

BURFORD AND UPTON PRIORY LANE
AND SIGNET (North side)
SP2512 (Enlargement) The Old Rectory
7/177 (Previously listed
12.9.55 under Upton and Signet
C.P.)

GV II


Parsonage house. c.1680-1700, usually attributed to Christopher Kempster.
Freestone front, hipped Cotswold stone roof. Roughly T-plan. Classic
astylar small Queen Anne house. 2 storeys and attic. Chamfered quoins,
low plinth, band over ground floor, coved eaves cornice with bed-mould. 2
gabled dormers to front and one in each hip. 1:3:1 windows with 2-window windows with 2-window
return to south, sashes, perhaps contemporary, with thick ovolo glazing
bars in moulded architraves with bracket cills. Central pedimented
doorcase with pulvinated frieze, 6-(flush) panel door. 2 ashlar chimneys
at apices of hips, with cornices. The rear wing may not be exactly
contemporary, possibly a little later. Altered 2 storeys on cellar, 2:1
windows, cross mullion type, large stepped ashlar stack to East; to South,
4 windows on 1st floor and a gabled dormer.
Interior retains several features. To the front range, 2 fireplaces, a
shell-niche cupboard and raised and fielder shutters (in SE room). To
rear a c.1700 stairwell with heavy turned balusters, lower flight altered;
the West end room, now divided retains box cornice.


Listing NGR: SP2507912369

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.