History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ryton Parish Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Ryton, Shropshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6224 / 52°37'20"N

Longitude: -2.3551 / 2°21'18"W

OS Eastings: 376059

OS Northings: 302799

OS Grid: SJ760027

Mapcode National: GBR 07D.KF3

Mapcode Global: WH9DJ.SBQX

Entry Name: Ryton Parish Church

Listing Date: 26 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1239528

English Heritage Legacy ID: 417337

Location: Ryton, Shropshire, TF11

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Ryton

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Ryton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Shifnal

Listing Text

SJ 70 SE RYTON C.P. RYTON

5/124 Ryton parish church
(dedication unknown)

-

G.V. II

Parish church. Medieval, early C18 Gothic Revival and 1886. Sandstone
ashlar, plain tiled roofs. Nave, chancel, West tower, north aisle and
vestry. Tower. Probably early C18 (see inscription of 1710 to church-
wardens on internal west wall); 2 stages ; lower stage with cusped 2-light
window in west wall, 4 above to belfry, embattled parapet with broadly
hollowed string course below, corner pinnacles, copper weathervane and
clock on south face; late C19 entrance on south, Decorated style pointed
arch with attached columns. Nave. The east and south walls appear to
be medieval but much of the stonework has been renewed, 2 late C19 2-
light Decorated style windows. Chancel. Also early C18 but with late
C19 windows; 3 cusped lights to east window with quatrefoil frieze below,
two 2-light Decorated style windows to south, plain pointed south doorway
with hoodmould; moulded eaves cornice on south and C19 cross to east gable.
North aisle. 1886. Two 2-light windows on south with geometrical tracery
(inserted in north wall of nave in 1874 and moved to aisle in 1886),
naturalistic leaf carving to label stops, cusped lancet with quatrefoil
above to west wall, crosses to gables. Vestry. Also of 1886, 2 light
window with cusped heads in east wall. Interior. Tall pointed tower arch
without imposts or capitals, 3 bay north aisle arcade with octagonal
capitals, late C19 chancel arch with corbelled capitals, panelled roof
and trussed rafter roof to chancel both late C19; vestry separated from
chancel by a low wide arch and screen of c.1890. Late C19 stained glass
to nave, chancel and aisle; C20 stained glass to East window, font and
pulpit late C19, encaustic tiles and late C19 texts on metal boards at
the east end of the north aisle; seating also late C19, pitch pine benches
with built-in brass candelabra. Monuments. A tablet built into the west
wall of the tower commemorates Thomas Pitt and Aaron Louet, churchwardens,
who were presumably responsible for the building of the tower, mid C19
monument with crocketted finials to members of the Harding family on the
north wall; on the west wall of the nave, early C19 wall tablets to the
Head and Harding families and a tablet to Mary Coxwell (died 1776) by
Westmacott, draped curtains beneath inscription with a coat of arms above;
on the south wall of the nave is a small brass plate to William Sansam
of Atchley (died 1723). Cranage, Vol.I, pp.25-26.


Listing NGR: SJ7605902799

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.