This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8665 / 51°51'59"N
Longitude: -2.2486 / 2°14'54"W
OS Eastings: 382979
OS Northings: 218682
OS Grid: SO829186
Mapcode National: GBR 1KZ.VQW
Mapcode Global: VH94B.ZC40
Plus Code: 9C3VVQ82+HH
Entry Name: Shire Hall
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245084
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472683
Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Gloucester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8218NE WESTGATE STREET
844-1/7/429 (South side)
23/01/52 Shire Hall
Shire hall portico and flanking wings. The original building,
of which the portico remains, opened 1816. By Sir Robert
Smirke for the County Magistrates. Substantial extensions to
either side of entrance front, 1909-11, by MH Medland for
Gloucestershire County Council. The entrance portico and the
flanking wings retained when building was otherwise demolished
and rebuilt with major additions, 1960-1970. Ashlar, composite
roof. The original symmetrical facade, comprising portico
between slightly projecting wings, is set back from street
between later, flanking wings; the wider flanking wing on the
east side returns along the west side of Berkeley Street.
EXTERIOR: giant Ionic portico of three bays flanked by
two-storey, single-bay wings is approached by two shallow
flights of stone steps in forecourt flanked by later wings,
above the portico the crowning entablature is slightly
recessed between parapets with moulded copings above the
single bay wings; on the front of each wing a central doorway
and on the first floor a sash. The later projecting wings, of
three storeys and basement, have canted angles at the outer
corners on the sides towards the forecourt, plain ashlar
plinths at basement level, raised bands at ground-floor sill
level with banded rustication above capped by raised bands at
first-floor sill level; the first and second floors faced with
plain ashlar, crowning entablatures with parapets with open
balustrade panels; all the sashes with glazing bars; a bronze
sconce on each side of the portico.
INTERIOR: mostly rebuilt 1960 to 1970.
The Assize Courts at rear, formerly listed as part of Shire
Hall, now listed as Crown Courts, Bearland (qv).
(BOE: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of
Dean: London: 1976-: 239; VCH: The City of Gloucester: Oxford:
Listing NGR: SO8297918682
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings