History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lansdown (Terrace) and Attached Area Railings with Wall at Left

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lansdown, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8944 / 51°53'39"N

Longitude: -2.0876 / 2°5'15"W

OS Eastings: 394065

OS Northings: 221762

OS Grid: SO940217

Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.125

Mapcode Global: VH947.RNQ4

Plus Code: 9C3VVWV6+QW

Entry Name: Lansdown (Terrace) and Attached Area Railings with Wall at Left

Listing Date: 5 May 1972

Last Amended: 26 November 1998

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245385

English Heritage Legacy ID: 474862

Location: Lansdown, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in



630-1/17/451 (North side)
05/05/72 Nos.15-29 (Consecutive)
Lansdown Place (terrace) and
attached area railings with wall at
(Formerly Listed as:
(North side)
Nos.5-29 (Consecutive)
(Lansdown Place))
(Formerly Listed as:
(North side)
Montpellier Court and No.4 Lansdown


Terrace of 15 houses, now houses, flats and offices with
attached area railings and wall. Numbered right to left,
described right to left. 1825-1835, with later alterations.
Begun by JB Papworth for Pearson Thompson and completed by RW
and C Jearrad. Ashlar over brick with slate mansard roofs and
brick and stucco party-wall stacks with iron railings and
PLAN: houses designed in pairs with recessed, paired entrances
and service ranges to rear; the regularity of the design, with
main 6-window ranges, the end bays of which break forwards,
then entrance bays set back behind loggias, is broken to the
left 5 houses which have 2 sets of central entrances, then
entrance to right, the 6-window ranges have stepped
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with attics, on basements, 49 first-floor
windows arranged 6:6:3:1:6:2:6:2:6:2:6:2:1. Ashlar detailing
includes moulded band over basement; horizontal rustication to
ground floor; breakforwards to main 6-window ranges (except
those 2 to left); string course, frieze and cornice over first
floor; crowning string, frieze and cornice with low parapet.
6/6 sashes where original. Attics have 3/3 sashes to where
original. Entrances: those to left have paired central
entrances, flights of roll-edged steps to 4-panel doors with
sidelights and overlights with glazing bars, within shared
porch with round arches on imposts and with tooled heads and
keystones, cornice and blocking course; those to right are
similar but paired entrances set behind straight-headed and

round-arched loggias.
INTERIOR: retain many original joinery including shutters to
windows, open-well staircases with alternate embellished and
stick balusters and wreathed handrails, service stairs have
stick balusters; embellished plasterwork.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: first-floor verandahs have Carron Company
double-heart-and-honeysuckle motif, except those to Nos 19-22
have bowed fronts, pierced frieze and embellished uprights.
Area railings have embellished X-motif. Left end wall.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Lansdown Place is shown on Papworth's plan as
a 'streight' plot and is 'the only part of his original
Lansdown design to have been completed largely as he intended.
It consists of 15 pairs of houses, each joined to those on
either side by a pair of recessed doorways'. Building began in
1825 and 14 houses had been completed by 1828. Probably
another 5 houses had been finished by the time the Jearrad
brothers bought the development from Thompson in 1830. From
then it was finished to the Jearrads' direction with minor
alterations to Papworth's design. Papworth's drawings for
Lansdown Place are in the RIBA library.
Forms a continuous design of quasi semi-detached houses with
Nos 4-14 (consec) Lansdown Place, Lansdown Road (qv).
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 141; Sampson A and
Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham: 1993-: 69;
Cheltenham Art Gallery and Museum: John Papworth, Architect.
An exhibition of plans and drawings: Cheltenham: 1978-).

Listing NGR: SO9357121748

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.