This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1856 / 53°11'8"N
Longitude: -2.8927 / 2°53'33"W
OS Eastings: 340446
OS Northings: 365762
OS Grid: SJ404657
Mapcode National: GBR 79.3CW0
Mapcode Global: WH88F.J6R5
Plus Code: 9C5V54P4+6W
Entry Name: B Block
Listing Date: 26 February 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245520
English Heritage Legacy ID: 452905
Location: Chester Castle, Cheshire West and Chester, CH1
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Chester Castle
Built-Up Area: Chester
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 4065 NW CHESTER CASTLE CASTLE SQUARE
4/606 B Block
Armoury now Officers' Mess. 1804. By Thomas Harrison of Chester. Cuyper
sandstone ashlar from the Manley quarries and Bunter sandstone ashlar with slate
roofs and lead flashings. Two storeys. Facade facing Castle Square: 9 bays
with high projecting plinth supporting monolithic ½-columns of Greek Doric form
between bays and at the ends. These support a projecting plain entablature with
parapet above resting on slightly projecting plinth and divided by projecting
piers. Between the floors and set between the ½-columns is a series of plain
panels with moulded surrounds forming a sort of decorated band. Central ground
floor double doorway with doors of 3 panels each with rectangular overlight.
Moulded surround and pedimental overdoor supported on fluted consoles which
terminate in roundels. Ground floor sash windows to either side of 3 x 4 panes
(as are all the ground floor windows of the block) here with aedicular surrounds
of compressed entablature supported by fluted consoles. First floor sash
windows of 3 x 2 panes. Arch way adjoining front at left and joining with
lateral colonnade of Assize Courts Block (q.v.), of rusticated stone with
segmental arch, dentilled cornice and central panel to parapet with moulded
surround. Left hand side: 3 bays. Slightly projecting high plinth; panel
between floors and entablature as at front. Central double ground floor doors
with rectangular fanlight above and blank windows to either side. Central sash
window to first floor of 3 x 3 panes with blank windows to either side. Right
hand side of 3 bays with plinth, panel and entablature as at left. Blank
central window with sash windows to either side of 3 x 4 panes. First floor
central window 3 x 2 sash panes with blank windows to either side. The front
and side elevations were paid for by the county, the rear by the government. Of
major importance as an element in the composition formed of the Assize Court
Block, Propylaea and A and B Blocks.
Sources: Frank Simpson - "Chester Castle AD 907-1925". Journal of
the Architectural, Archaeological and His-
toric Society, Chester and North Wales.
New Series Vol.XXVI Part II.
Nikolaus Pevsner and - The Buildings of England : Cheshire.
J Mordaunt Crook - "The Architecture of Thomas Harrison".
Country Life, 22 April 1971.
Moira A R Ockrim - "Thomas Harrison and the Rebuilding of
Chester Castle: A History and Reassessment".
Journal of the Chester Archaeological Society.
Listing NGR: SJ4050365806
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings