History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Detached Ruin 50 Metres East of Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Manor Castle, Sheffield

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3742 / 53°22'27"N

Longitude: -1.4353 / 1°26'7"W

OS Eastings: 437667

OS Northings: 386520

OS Grid: SK376865

Mapcode National: GBR 9QN.V7

Mapcode Global: WHDDP.XGP3

Entry Name: Detached Ruin 50 Metres East of Manor House

Listing Date: 28 June 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246612

English Heritage Legacy ID: 455552

Location: Sheffield, S2

County: Sheffield

Electoral Ward/Division: Manor Castle

Built-Up Area: Sheffield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Park St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Sheffield

Listing Text


SHEFFIELD

SK38NE MANOR LANE
784-1/6/497 (North side)
28/06/73 Detached ruin 50m east of Manor
House

GV II

Detached ruin. Late C18, possibly incorporating an earlier
building, with C19 and C20 alterations. Coursed squared stone,
with fragments of 5 crucks. Roofless. Rectangular plan.
Remains of walls up to 2m high. On the south side, a 4 centred
arched doorway. Enclosed by mid C20 railing.
This building was previously believed to date from the C16,
but recent archaeological evidence suggests that it was
erected in the late C18, using material from the nearby Manor
Lodge, which was abandoned in 1706.
(Archaeology in South Yorkshire 1990-91: Merrony CJN:
Sheffield: 1991-: 9-13).


Listing NGR: SK3766786520

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SHEFFIELD

SK38NE MANOR LANE
784-1/6/497 (North side)
28/06/73 Detached ruin 50m east of Manor
House

GV II

Detached ruin. Late C18, possibly incorporating an earlier
building, with C19 and C20 alterations. Coursed squared stone,
with fragments of 5 crucks. Roofless. Rectangular plan.
Remains of walls up to 2m high. On the south side, a 4 centred
arched doorway. Enclosed by mid C20 railing.
This building was previously believed to date from the C16,
but recent archaeological evidence suggests that it was
erected in the late C18, using material from the nearby Manor
Lodge, which was abandoned in 1706.
(Archaeology in South Yorkshire 1990-91: Merrony CJN:
Sheffield: 1991-: 9-13).


Listing NGR: SK3766786520

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.