This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3725 / 53°22'20"N
Longitude: -1.4717 / 1°28'18"W
OS Eastings: 435248
OS Northings: 386306
OS Grid: SK352863
Mapcode National: GBR 9HN.0W
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.CHFG
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Last Amended: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246817
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455904
Location: Sheffield, S2
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sheffield St Mary, Bramall Lane
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NE BRAMALL LANE
784-1/6/95 (East side)
28/06/73 Church of St Mary
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Mary)
(Formerly Listed as:
Community Centre within Church of St
Church and community centre. 1826-30, altered and divided to
form community centre c1970. By Joseph and Robert Potter.
Ashlar with slate roof. Perpendicular Revival style.
PLAN: chancel, nave with aisles, vestries, west tower, west
EXTERIOR: moulded plinth and sillbands, eaves band, coped
parapet and gables, buttresses with crocketed pinnacles.
Windows have hoodmoulds with stops. Blank sided chancel has
pierced crenellated east gable with octagonal flanking piers
topped with octagonal spires and ogee finials. Transomed
5-light pointed arched window with moulded head and finial.
North and south aisles, 7 bays, have octagonal corner turrets
with finials. 7 tall transomed 3-light pointed arched windows.
Under the central window a C20 door, that to south larger and
with curved brick flanking walls. At the east ends, 2-light
pointed arched windows. Single storey parapeted vestries at
the east ends of the aisles have 2-light pointed arched
windows to the sides and doors to west.
Square west tower, 3 stages, has string courses, mask corbel
table and octagonal corner turrets topped with crocketed
spires. Moulded west doorway with single shafts and crocketed
ogee gable, covering wrought-iron gates. Second stage has a
blank transomed 3-light pointed arched opening to the west,
and 2-light similar openings on each side, and above them, a
clock on each side but the east. Bell stage has a transomed
3-light pointed arch bell-opening on each side with crocketed
ogee gable. Flanking the tower, single angle buttressed square
porches with crenellated parapets. To west, single transomed
2-light pointed arched windows. To north and south, a panelled
door with crocketed ogee gable and above it, a figure niche.
INTERIOR: divided interior has roll moulded chancel arch with
double ringed shafts and hoodmould. Rib vaulted chancel has
Royal arms in boss. Under the tower, ringed triple shafts and
rib vaulted porch dated 1829. Fittings include traceried organ
case, traceried wooden pulpit and traceried octagonal font.
Panelled benches, some with shaped ends.
Listing NGR: SK3524886306
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings