This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4053 / 53°24'18"N
Longitude: -1.4957 / 1°29'44"W
OS Eastings: 433625
OS Northings: 389946
OS Grid: SK336899
Mapcode National: GBR 999.T3
Mapcode Global: WHDDH.0N1T
Plus Code: 9C5WCG43+4P
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist and Attached Boundary Wall and Gates
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246917
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455949
Location: Hillsborough, Sheffield, S6
Electoral Ward/Division: Hillsborough
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Owlerton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NW PENISTONE ROAD
784-1/5/588 (East side)
28/06/73 Church of St John the Baptist and
attached boundary wall and gates
Parish church and attached boundary wall and gates. 1874. By
JB Mitchell-Withers. North-east vestry early C20. Coursed
squared stone, brick interior, with ashlar dressings and slate
roofs with single gable and single side wall stone stacks.
Gothic Revival style. Chamfered plinth, coped gables.
PLAN: chancel, vestries, south transept, nave with clerestory
and aisles, south porch, south-west tower.
EXTERIOR: blank sided chancel has a plain triple lancet to
east. Flat roofed north-east vestry has a Tudor arched door to
east and 3 lancets to north. South-east vestry has 2 lancets
to south and door to east. South transept has a wheel window
above and 2 single lancets below. Clerestory has 4 double
lancets each side. West end has flanking buttresses and a
wheel window with 2 single lancets below it.
Aisles have 3 double lancets to east and a single one to west.
South aisle has gabled porch with plain chamfered doorway.
North aisle has a similar doorway. West ends have 2 single
Thin square tower, 3 stages, has string course and a single
buttress. Single window on lower stage. 2-light windows at
different levels on the upper stage. Traceried wooden belfry
with flared pyramidal slate roof with finial.
INTERIOR: has rendered chancel with wagon roof and double
chamfered arch with shaft imposts. Each side has a doorway.
North side has an aumbry, south side a double sedilia with
detached shaft. East end has a Decorated style wooden reredos.
Nave has 4 bay arcades with alternating round and octagonal
piers, stiff-leaf capitals and chamfered arches. Scissor
braced roof. West end has single door to tower. Aisles have
lean-to roofs and pedimented draught screens.
FITTINGS include C20 stalls and benches, and C19 traceried
ashlar pulpit and square font with C20 spire cover. 1898
stained glass window by Kayll & Co., and 5 early C20 windows.
Decorated style wooden triptych war memorial, c1920.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: outside, attached stone boundary wall
with chamfered coping topped with railing and to right, a pair
of gabled square piers and gates. To left, a plainer pair of
gate piers with a pedestrian gate. Approx 80m long.
(Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).
Listing NGR: SK3362589946
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings