This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4018 / 53°24'6"N
Longitude: -1.4934 / 1°29'36"W
OS Eastings: 433776
OS Northings: 389557
OS Grid: SK337895
Mapcode National: GBR 9BB.9C
Mapcode Global: WHDDH.1R3H
Plus Code: 9C5WCG24+PJ
Entry Name: Guardroom and Adjoining Wall and Towers to Former Hillsborough Barracks
Listing Date: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271329
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455298
Location: Sheffield, S6
Electoral Ward/Division: Hillsborough
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Owlerton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK 38 NW SHEFFIELD LANGSETT ROAD
(North East side)
Guardroom & adjoining wall &
12.12.1995 towers to former Hillsborough
Guardroom, now restaurant, and adjoining boundary wall and towers. 1848-54, used as industrial workshops mid C20, converted 1990. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roof with 2 coped ridge stacks. EXTERIOR: Plinth, half-round eaves, coped parapets. 2 storeys; 6 window range. Windows are mainly glazing bar sashes. Front has 6 windows and below, a full-width loggia and balcony with 6 segmental pointed arches and square piers. Coped parapet. Under the loggia, to left, a window flanked by double doors with overlights, and to right, 2 windows and a similar door. Left return has a barred round-headed window above and a blocked door below. Rear has 6 segment-headed cell windows. INTERIOR: Not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Adjoining section of boundary wall, to south-east, has half-round coping. Approx 75m long. At each end, an octagonal crenellated comer tower, 2 storeys, with rifle slits on each floor. Towers contain stone spiral staircases. Attached to the inner face, a similar wall enclosing the guard room yard and storage buildings. Beyond, to north, a lower boundary wall, approx 50m long. HISTORY: The perimeter wall shows the defensible nature of the barracks, built in response to anxiety over civil unrest. One of the earliest instances of historicist, castellated barracks style, following its contextual use at the. Tower of London (1845). Despite conversion, much of the original site survives including the officers' quarters and barracks, stables and riding school, hospital and guard house (qqv). (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-: 472; Skeleton record plan of ground floor: 1907-1923)
Listing NGR: SK3377689557
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings